AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to convert latitude/longitude Oracle database table to a State Plane coordinate system shapefile?

Question asked by shannon.grumbly on Dec 5, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 by shannon.grumbly

I have a table of almost 700,000 records that I would like to plot as points. There is an X field and Y field stored as lat/long (e.g. 40.04746, -75.233316). However, all of my other data is in NAD 1983 State Plane Pennsylvania South FIPS 3702 Feet. I cannot get the table to plot correctly over my existing data. In fact, it plots somewhere in Ohio.

So far I have tried:

• The 'Add XY Data' tool, using the Data Frame's State Plane coordinate system and inputing the X field for X and Y field for Y.
  • Importing the table into Arc and right-clicking 'Display XY Data', exporting as a shapefile, and using 'Define Projection' as NAD 1983 State Plane Pennsylvania South FIPS 3702 Feet. The tool was successful but did not change the coordinates or add any new fields for re-mapping.
  • Importing the table into Arc and right-clicking 'Display XY Data', exporting as a shapefile, and using 'Project' to change the output coordinate system to NAD 1983 State Plane Pennsylvania South FIPS 3702 Feet. This tool runs unsuccessfully, giving the error 'ERROR 999999: Error executing function: invalid extent for output coordinate system. Failed to execute (Project)'.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Outcomes