Mosaic dataset TIF file replacement

11-30-2016 07:21 AM
MarkWingfield
New Contributor III

We have a system that currently has a mosaic dataset in SQL Server 2008 R2 that is accessing a folder of the full UK TIF files for 10K Rasters. These TIF files are now outdated and so we have been asked to replace the current TIF raster files with a full UK copy of OS Vector MAP TIF files. It appears that the filenames and details are identical, it is just that the actual maps in the rasters are more up-to-date. Everything else appears to be the same format.

I will be required to quote for the work and this assumes I understand what is the simplest method. Currently, I just have instructions for creating the mosaic dataset in SQL (using ArcMAP) from scratch. 

My question is, if I simply replace entirely the existing folders with the new folders of data in Windows and, assuming these are identical in structure, down to folder and file names, will the mosaic dataset simply pick up these new rasters without any other work or do I need to carry out some extra actions to ensure the mosaic dataset uses the new files?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkWingfield
New Contributor III

... I am using ArcGIS 10.2

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I wonder if this would help.  ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)   Synchronizing a mosaic dataset is a good primary way to keep your mosaic datasets up to date with data and in sync with other connected mosaic datasets.   (I have not used this).

I would test any scenario you are planning with a small subset of a mosaic.  That is, take a copy or create another and see what replacing does (make sure to refresh).  You may need to recreate the overviews since maybe things are not exactly alike.  But mosaic datasets are also very powerful and you can have it point to both datasets and have a date/year assigned to each set to help with change detection or other analysis if you want.  

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) What is a mosaic dataset help

I've done most of my mosaic dataset work in 10.3.x, and instead of using our SQL database, I use FGDBs and have the mosaic point to the raw imagery.  No need for the overhead of SQL.   This has been working much better than the mosaics we used to store in ArcSDE (MSSQL).

Another good resource on possible workflows and best practices

Image Management 

The Image Management guide book is intended to support data managers responsible for managing and disseminating large collections of imagery to their user community. This user community may be limited to your organization, or it may include external users and the general public.

0 Kudos