Portal 10.3.1 is not configured to support ArcGIS Maps for Office

Jump to solution
11-29-2016 09:07 PM
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all,

Configuration:

VM Servers:  Windows 2012 R2 Servers (several servers for ArcGIS (eg. map, gp, img sites) and another for the Portal, federated, webadaptor and HTTPS only configured).

Desktop: Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64bit with Office 2010 32bit

Installed the Resources on the portal server and the ArcGIS Maps for Office 4.0 x86 on the desktop using the download url in esri's documentation (http://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-office/install-and-configure/work-with-portal-for-arcgis.htm)

Portal webadaptor is https://esridev.myergon.local/portal

With configuration of Excel ArcMaps of Office portal url pointing to above, I click on Sign In and a message box appears with the following message

I have looked through the documentation and can't find a cause, solution, etc. for the above error message.

Could someone help me to find out what is causing this?

If I change the url is point to our organisation on arcgis.com, it works. It appears to be our on premise portal

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Anthony,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Anthony,

Have you installed the ArcGIS Data Store and enabled your Portal to have a hosting server? I did not see ArcGIS Data Store when you listed your configuration. Please see these help topics:

The data from ArcGIS Maps for Office when published to Portal for ArcGIS are stored in the ArcGIS Data Store.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL

Derek,

We do have Datastore installed. I doubled checked the server & portal configuration and server has the datastore registered and portal has this server as the hosting server.

I found another PC to do some more testing. This PC is a Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 32bit with Office 2010 32bit.

Installed the software the same way (eg. path, options, portal url) as the 64bit OS machine and it works.

Any other tips/suggestions on where to go next?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Anthony,

So you're saying that the deployment works on one client machine (Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 32bit with Office 2010 32bit) but not on the other (Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64bit with Office 2010 32bit) is that right?

Then something's amiss with the installation/configuration of the second 64bit client machine. Suggest you recheck that everything's set-up properly on the 64bit client machine. Don't mean to state the obvious, but did you install the correct ArcGISMapsForOffice OS file, in other words: 32bit vs 64bit install files?

Install on a single computer—ArcGIS Maps for Office | ArcGIS 

(please see the note at the top of the page)

Hope this helps,

AnthonyRyanEQL

Derek,

That's right. I checked again to make sure I was using the correct installer too. I ran the x64 installer just for the hell of it and message appears regarding this installer was incorrect due to an Office x86 install was detected.

I went back to scratch and rebuilt the PC as a Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64bit with Office 2010 32bit. Ran 'ArcGISMapsForOffice_x86_4.0_en.exe' again with the configuration/url as before and now it works.

Sorry for the trouble before. Before I started the install the first time, I rebuilt PC to make sure nothing would clash, etc.

Thanks again

DerekLaw

Hi Anthony,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved.

MarcoMedeiros
New Contributor II

Hi everyone. I can't configure my Portal to work with Maps for Office. I have tried the steps listed on Working with Portal for ArcGIS—Esri Maps for Office | ArcGIS, I have verified my HTTPS URL and I have verified if my version of Maps for Office is similar to Office's version.

Derek Law There is another thing to do to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Marco,

Can you please elaborate on the error you're encountering? Where along the steps does the issue occur? Provide a screenshot(s). Also what release of Portal for ArcGIS, MS Office are you using?

0 Kudos
MarcoAntonio_de_Medeiros_Junio
New Contributor II

Of course,

We have a Portal for ArcGIS 10.5 on Linux Red Hat. We install Office 2016 64 bit on a windows pc and consequently Maps for Office 64 bit 4.1. When we tried to pass the url of our Portal in the Office plugin, the error message below is displayed. 

We tried to follow the steps described in this link Work with Portal for ArcGIS—ArcGIS Maps for Office | ArcGIS  but we did not succeed.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Marcos,

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience deploying Portal for ArcGIS on Linux, sorry. Suggest you contact Esri Tech Support and open an issue so they can investigate further.

Just to check: you've configured your Portal to be a hosting server, right?

Configure a hosting server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5.x) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Good luck,

0 Kudos