AGOL Export to Shapefile

Jump to solution
11-29-2016 12:25 PM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All,

i have a feature service that was created from a specific gdb "view" that i have published to ArcGIS for Server.

i then pulled that feature service down to AGOL with the hopes of distributing out and allowing others to download to a shapefile and/or gdb.

i guess i am missing something, as i am not seeing the export data option.

can someone guide me to the proper steps of doing the above?

thanks

dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SethLewis1

Dave -

The Export Data option is made available when a Feature Service is published to ArcGIS Online as a Hosted Layer. If in AGOL your item is referencing an ArcGIS for Server REST Endpoint then a user will not be able to download directly that service's content.

You mentioned the goal of allowing your users to download as a shapefile or gdb so I'll assume that they're using ArcGIS Desktop in some capacity. As a workaround you may consider a GP tool that Jake Skinner‌ developed a which downloads an ArcGIS for Server REST Service as a Feature Class (Download ArcGIS Online Feature Service or ArcGIS Server Feature/Map Service )

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SethLewis1

Dave -

The Export Data option is made available when a Feature Service is published to ArcGIS Online as a Hosted Layer. If in AGOL your item is referencing an ArcGIS for Server REST Endpoint then a user will not be able to download directly that service's content.

You mentioned the goal of allowing your users to download as a shapefile or gdb so I'll assume that they're using ArcGIS Desktop in some capacity. As a workaround you may consider a GP tool that Jake Skinner‌ developed a which downloads an ArcGIS for Server REST Service as a Feature Class (Download ArcGIS Online Feature Service or ArcGIS Server Feature/Map Service )

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You can also try OpenData, which is authorized/setup thru the AGOL admin.

Esri | ArcGIS Open Data 

Enable Open Data—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

We've setup some ArcGIS Server services to use thru this (still in test mode for us), but have had mixed results, but we use a non-standard coordinate system so that is most likely the main cause of our issues.  Also, I have not tested with the new version that was release in the last couple weeks.