9.3.1 to 10.4.1 Upgrade - Versioned editing failing.

Jump to solution
11-29-2016 05:09 AM
JeremyClark3
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm currently attempting to complete a version upgrade of a SDE database on a MSSQL server and while the core database and feature classes upgrade successfully, when attempting to re-implement versioned editing the edits are failing to save.

The source database is from version 9.3.1, SQL server 2008 is the database engine.

The target database will be version 10.4.1, SQL server 2012 (SP3) is the database engine.

The error message we are receiving when attempting to save edits is as follows:

The following scenario successfully edits data within this database:

• Upgrade the database 9.3.1 -> 10.4.1 (including restored users etc), connect as a database user, use the sde.DEFAULT version, edit directly into default (SUCCESS)

We have tried multiple variations to upgrade the database including:

• Compress the database and clean up all states/versions, upgrade the database 9.3.1 -> 10.4.1 (including restored users etc), recreate versions (), use the newly created version (eg. GISDADMIN.WGIS_Edits_Spaceuser) 
  • Upgrade the database 9.3.1 -> 10.4.1 (including restored users etc), compress the database, recreate versions (no versions show up from 9.3.1), use the newly created version (eg. GISDADMIN.WGIS_Edits_Spaceuser) 
  • Upgrade the database 9.3.1 -> 10.3.1 (including restored users etc), compress the database and clean up all states/versions (including orphaned), upgrade 10.3.1 -> 10.4.1 , compress the database, recreate versions, use the newly created version (eg. GISDADMIN.WGIS_Edits_Spaceuser)

This appears to occur regardless of version naming and the user creating the version.  

Has anyone run into these issues before with upgrading an SDE database from 9.3.1 to 10.x?  Appreciate any suggestions for resolving this short of rebuilding the entire database!

Thanks,

Jeremy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeremyClark3
New Contributor II

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for the suggestion - my DBA also had a similar suggestion this morning so I sourced a copy of 10.1 and upgraded the database using the earlier version.  This earlier version was useful as it did actually respond with errors that 10.4.1 (or 10.3.1) wasn't reporting!

In the end, I have managed to resolve the issue and get the database upgraded to 10.4.1.  

For future reference, should anyone have similar issues the error above resulted from a series of tables created directly in MSSQL Server and not registered with the geodatabase.  They could not be upgraded as they did not meet SDE schema requirements (eg. including field names >32 characters), once they were removed from the database everything seems to have upgraded well and versioned editing is working.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you change the compatibility level of the SQL Server database to 2012? I am not sure if this is the cause, but just a thought.

JeremyClark3
New Contributor II

Thanks Asrujit!

I have changed this setting, however in this particular instance it wasn't the underlying cause, always worth getting the compatibility level right though.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_AltafTambe
New Contributor III

You could also try to upgrade to a supported release i.e 10.3 or any ArcGIS desktop version prior to it. I understand you did try with 10.3.1, however you could give it a shot.

As mentioned in the below web-link:

" You can upgrade directly from a 10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2, 10.3, 10.3.1, 10.4, 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2 geodatabase if your database is at a supported release. "

1) Upgrade an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/gdbs-in-sql-server/upgrade-geodatabase-sqlser...

2) Upgrade an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/gdbs-in-sql-server/upgrade-geodatabase-sqlserve...

" You can upgrade directly from a 9.3.1, 10, 10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, or 10.2.2 geodatabase to a 10.3 geodatabase if your database is at a supported release. "

JeremyClark3
New Contributor II

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for the suggestion - my DBA also had a similar suggestion this morning so I sourced a copy of 10.1 and upgraded the database using the earlier version.  This earlier version was useful as it did actually respond with errors that 10.4.1 (or 10.3.1) wasn't reporting!

In the end, I have managed to resolve the issue and get the database upgraded to 10.4.1.  

For future reference, should anyone have similar issues the error above resulted from a series of tables created directly in MSSQL Server and not registered with the geodatabase.  They could not be upgraded as they did not meet SDE schema requirements (eg. including field names >32 characters), once they were removed from the database everything seems to have upgraded well and versioned editing is working.

Thanks!