Group not available for sharing items to in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
11-25-2016 04:51 AM
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

I am the owner of an ArcGIS Online group. When members try to share the content they have created to that group, it is not an available option for them in the list of groups they can share to. In fact, having just checked, it is not even an available option for me.

Any tips as to settings that I need to check, either on the account or on the group, would be really welcome. Here are the group settings at present:

Group Settings

All accounts in question are members of the same organisation.

EDIT: I think it is to do with the "Members can update all items" setting. If I create a new group without this setting, members can share items to the group. Can anyone point me to documentation which explains further?

Thanks!

Katy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Katy,

In order to share with a group that has update capabilities enabled, you must share the item from My Content to see the appropriate group. If you are a member of one or more groups with the item update capability enabled, you will see both the Access and Access and update capabilities options from My content. If not, you will only see the Access option.

This is outlined in step 4 of this article in the documentation: Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It looks that per your edit you may have found a solution, but here is a link to the help that may help to understand "sharing"

Get started with sharing—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Katy,

In order to share with a group that has update capabilities enabled, you must share the item from My Content to see the appropriate group. If you are a member of one or more groups with the item update capability enabled, you will see both the Access and Access and update capabilities options from My content. If not, you will only see the Access option.

This is outlined in step 4 of this article in the documentation: Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you Kelly. I can see now that those sharing options are available from the overall My Content list. I was trying to share from the Share button on an individual Item Details page, but none of the articles seem to make that distinction very clearly.

0 Kudos
BrookeAumann1
New Contributor

I know this is an old post, but it was the only way I figured this out. I see in the instructions for sharing where this is, but it might be helpful to have screenshots. I gues my fault for not reading completely, but I assumed like most, that you could (or had to) share from the item details.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Alexis,

Thanks for the feedback. This is definitely something we will consider for the future. I also wanted to point this post to a more recent blog article that Katie Cullen‌ wrote that includes some screenshots:

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2018/05/31/the-case-of-the-missin... 

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

That blog post was a fantastic find, sorted out my issue. Thanks for sharing,

BrookeAumann1
New Contributor

That blog post was exactly what I was looking for! Didn't come across that in my google searches though. Thank you so much for the information!

0 Kudos