Can custom fields be added to the assignment layer?

11-22-2016 06:39 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all.

Can you, or is it on the radar, to be able to add custom fields to an assignment layer?

We currently have a point feature class of our own that we use as our jobs layer to track work. We have a whole bunch of extra fields, probably quite specific to our needs, but that help us track, filter and report on the jobs. We use Collector and web apps, ops dashboard etc to update and view these jobs.

e.g. Not only a work order, but we include a reference to the property (e.g. farm or orchard) that the job relates to. We have own our jobid, but also a field for the purchase order from the client. We have job notes fields for internal and client purposes, invoicing status, supply regions, etc etc.

I realize that many users would have some external enterprise job tracking system and simply tie the two together via the 'external work order' field. But of course then the user also has to implement systems to coordinate jobs and their status between the two systems.

My preference would rather be the ability to add custom fields to the assignment layer itself. Preferably, users could update these custom fields within Workforce itself.

I'm trying to avoid the complexity of maintaining multiple datasets/tables/features where ever possible.

I guess the questions are:

• Is there any reason why custom fields could *not* be a feature in Workforce?
  • Is there a manual way to add custom fields, some sort of work around?

cheers,

-Paul

17 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

At this point I have not found a way to add custom fields. I am not sure when this will be enhanced.

The current workflow would be to start collecting, in collector, on an object. There would be your work around. Just have a layer added to your map that has the fields you want to edit. It is not the smoothest workflow but it can work. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Rickey.

The workflow you suggest is pretty much what we figured is the only current way to do it, i.e. you end up managing data across two datasets/feature classes. This is the primary reason that we have *not* currently gone ahead with using Workforce, because it's too cumbersome to track jobs/assignments when we have to check both the status of the assignment in Workforce plus the status of other data in a separate dataset.

Still hoping then that custom fields will be an option brought in at some point...

Cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
SushilPradhan
New Contributor II

Hi Paul,

Have you found any solution for addition custom fields in a workforce project? I am working in one project and looking for a solution to add custom fields.

Thanks,

-Sushil

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No I never did, but then I haven't looked at Workforce for quite a while.

cheers.

-Paul

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

FYI, I have added this as an ArcGIS Idea in case anyone else has the same requirement.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/12852 

RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I did see a post that with 10.5 we will be able to host our own workforce data. I am not sure how easy it will be but it should be better.

0 Kudos
SamvelArushanian
New Contributor II

I have tried to do this. And I succeed.

It is possible to link workforce to survey(or other apps), but u can only link “ID”, ”GlobalID” and “location” to a field of survey123.

Screenshot (Dutch):

But if you add custom field (with ArcGIS pro) to workforce “Assignments” layer, if is possible to link it to a field in survey. You can make changes in json.

"urlTemplate": "arcgis-survey123://?itemID=27e42f49fd814870ae2a6be1bcddb6d9&center=${assignment.latitude},${assignment.longitude}&field:containernr=${assignment.workOrderId}&field:naam=${assignment.naam}"

“&field:containernr=${assignment.workOrderId}”  is standard link that links workOrderId(ID) to field containernr of survey 123

I simply added “field:naam=${assignment.naam}" to it where assignment.naam is a custom field in workforce and naam is field in survey123 with name “naam”.

Pardon my English

0 Kudos
MichaelKohn
New Contributor II

Paul, 

I see that you asked this question a while ago and I hope that you resolved this issue since then. However, I did add custom fields to the assignments layer by manually adding fields through ArcGIS Online (Go to the hosted feature layer and under the Data tab you can navigate to the fields and add whichever fields you would like).

I am going to start another thread asking if there is a way to add a filter for a custom field in a Workforce Project. That is a recent request from my dispatchers.

Michael Kohn

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Michael,

This is still not possible, but it is something we're considering in an upcoming release. We're working on support for offline for our June release.

Craig