Invalid Rule Symbol in ArcGIS Online Legend

11-22-2016 06:40 AM
AmberTobin
New Contributor III

I have created a python script that uploads 20 layers that each have their own Representation to ArcGIS Online. Unfortunately, in the legend for each layer I have an "Invalid Rule" symbol. To my knowledge all of my features have drawn properly and there are no invalid symbols in the map. How do i get rid of this "Invalid Rule" in the legend using python (this is a weekly process and I do not want to manually fix 20 layers every week)? It does not appear in the legend in ArcMap. I know there is a "Display Option" in the Symbology tab in ArcMap that allows you to deselect the "Draw representation that have an invalid or null Rule ID" box. When I deselect it and exit out of the Layer Properties it says that the changes will be saved directly to the geodatabase but when I remove the file from the Table of Contents and add it back into the map the "Draw representation that have an invalid or null Rule ID" box is checked again.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Amber,

Are you able to share your service and web map? I would also recommend contacting technical support to identify the specific issue.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
AmberTobin
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

I can’t share it to the public. I did contact tech support and they said that getting rid of the invalid rule symbol can’t be done programmatically but I may be able to create an ArcObject to do it. I’m trying a work-around that they suggested such as using the ApplySymbology tool programmatically but that’s not working well either seeing as I am using geodatabase files to maintain column headings and that tool requires layer files as inputs.

-Amber

0 Kudos