unique building id

Jump to solution
11-23-2016 11:29 AM
JayMukherjee
New Contributor III

i have a building layer that needs periodic updating.  i want to create a unique, unchanging building id for each building.  i thought i would create a field "BLDG-ID" and field calculate the object id + 1.  once i have done that on my initial building layer snapshot, is there a method/idea/script to automatically assign a bldg id based on the highest number within "BLDG-ID" +1, when i digitize a new building?  reason i ask is because object id's can change depending on how the layer gets moved around from database to database.  thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Take a look at using the attribute assistant.  It can generate a unique ID based on a sequence or you can use an expression to do the calculation you suggest, or there is the field method that copies the value of one field to another.

All methods - Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions 

Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions 

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Take a look at using the attribute assistant.  It can generate a unique ID based on a sequence or you can use an expression to do the calculation you suggest, or there is the field method that copies the value of one field to another.

All methods - Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions 

Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions 

That should just about do it....
JayMukherjee
New Contributor III

thank you...didn't even know about the existence of the attribute assistant.

0 Kudos