Failed Weighted Sum

11-15-2016 10:17 AM
EthanUpton
New Contributor

I am trying to run the Weighted Sum tool but I keep getting the Error 010050 Cell size not set. The problem is that I have set the cell size in the environment and can't quite figure out the issue. Any ideas?

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

cell size was set within the tool's environments? or  at a general level?

0 Kudos
JenniferWheeler
New Contributor

Are you still having this issue? I am having an issue with it...

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

I actually ran into this issue recently. Any news on it? 

I eventually just sampled the raster to vector and did a calculate field in python to do the weighted sum...

Anyone else? 

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This GP error sometimes comes up when the output cell size the system attempts to set is invalid, for example, it's set to 30 and the input coordinate system is in degrees units.  I have a wild guess that this may be what's happening here.

I have also seen this error (usually together with others) when the raster output path or scratch workspace path is invalid (or the workspace does not exist). The raster can't be written and this error popups as a side-effect.

When doing this kind of analysis, it's advisable to project and resample your input data are in the same coordinate system before you run a raster analysis, as the environment can get garbled when projecting on the fly. You also have less control of resampling, etc when you have the system do all the resampling and projecting automatically.

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman

Hi Curtis, I will check on this back at work, but I am not sure that explains my error. This does help though, it gives me something to check. I went though pains to make sure everything was state plane, but I could have missed something. 

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
DavidWasserman

Hi Curtis, 

To follow back to this, it seems weighted sum does not have the same raster name validation as raster calculator. This is one thing I found. Raster Calc requires 13 character names. 

Another thing I found is even when the name is less than 13 characters, this tool does not work. I have not tried reprojecting, but I have tried using raster calculator and it is working on the same data. I am thinking I will just elect to do this the old fashion way in raster calculator. It feels like a bug, but I could be mistaken. 

David

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The issue with 13 characters is when data is output in grid format. If you save to another format (for example, using a .tif extension) the naming rules are little more relaxed. In general I highly recommend sticking with short raster names that start with a letter and only [a-z][0-9]_ -- this usually keeps you out of trouble. Also, never use spaces in data file, field, workspace, folder names.

A copy paste from your dialog window would probably help us out here diagnose your problem. It does sound like there may be a path naming issue.

https://community.esri.com/people/curtvprice/blog/2016/05/07/how-to-name-things-in-arcgis?sr=search&...

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman

Hi Curtis, 

This is something I just realized, but I am working in ArcMap 10.4. I just saw that this thread is ArcGIS Pro. That said, the error I got matches the one discussed here. Also if relevant this is over a network drive on a Windows 7 PC. I will try to do the same tool run on a local drive to check if that is an issue later. For now, I have resolved this problem for this project and will report back when I get another opportunity. 

I will get a dialogue copy pasted when I get access, but generally I used the conventions for names that are outlined as standard practice as you suggested. I used the same paths for both Weighted Sum and Raster Calculator. The only difference was Raster Calculator worked. The paths for both tools were: N:\Projects\....\GIS\Working_Data.gdb\Fin_ActP_Ped

David

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
AdamArcichowski1
New Contributor II

Hey I am having the same issue. Except I am using the weighted overlay tool.

0 Kudos