In AGOL, can I clip a Living Atlas layer to just display within a desired polygon boundary?

Jump to solution
11-14-2016 09:22 AM
AlexSivitskis1
New Contributor II

I know this process was outlined in the recent MOOC Earth Imagery at Work and can be done in Pro. But is there a way to do it simply in AGOL? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alex, 

Have you thought about using a polygon that has your area of interest clipped or filtered out of it, and then applying a transparency to it so the area of interest is fully viewable and the area around it is dulled out? Something like this:http://arcg.is/2guX0eM 

Carmel

View solution in original post

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a few questions for you:

Which layer are you attempting to clip, can you provide the link?

What is the reason that you would like to clip this layer to your polygon?

Thank you,

Katie

0 Kudos
AlexSivitskis1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response Katie.

The Living Atlas layers I would like to modify are some basic soil characteristic layers. For example the USA Soil Map Units 2014 (https://landscape1.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/USA_Soil_Mapunits_2014/MapServer )

I want to clip these layers purely for aesthetical, not analytical, purposes. I'm making a map/web app to show soils data in one particular area (the polygon boundary) and would like to have the soils data display only within the boundary, with base map imagery surrounding, so it will look clean. 

0 Kudos
AlexSivitskis1
New Contributor II

Hi Katie, has there been any follow up on this? 

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alex, 

Have you thought about using a polygon that has your area of interest clipped or filtered out of it, and then applying a transparency to it so the area of interest is fully viewable and the area around it is dulled out? Something like this:http://arcg.is/2guX0eM 

Carmel

AlexSivitskis1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response Carmel!

As a quick work around we did do something similar with transparency (set the atlas layer to transparent, and added in some additional information to pop-ups to make the map clickable and explorable).

I think I understand what you're getting at above, essentially masking out all the surrounding space by covering it with a larger polygon, and clipping out the interior to see beneath it.  We can definitely give that a try. Unfortunately I do not have privileges for the layer "World Land Cover 30m BaseVue 2013" so it is not letting me view the final result.

Just to clarify, does this mean the Living Atlas Layers are in fact not able to be clipped? 

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah the World Land Cover 30m BaseVue 2013 layer is just one of the Living Atlas layers, signing in should give you permissions to view it. 

I don't believe the Living Atlas Layers are clippable, not in ArcGIS Online anyway - they are map services so can't be filtered and because they are premium services I doubt you can take your own copy and edit it. The clipping in Pro is using a similar method to what we've done I'd say.

Carmel

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

I agree with Carmel, I don't think this is possible at this time. I would suggest adding your use case about aesthetic reasons and the living atlas layer to this idea:

ArcGIS Online: Filter by Polygon Feature 

I am recommending this idea because it sounds like you don't need to edit the data from the living atlas. In this case maybe you would need something more like a spatial filter. A spatial filter would just limit what data is returned from the existing layer and would not create a new output like the extract data tool does.

0 Kudos