Why are my polygons showing up differently in my Web Map?

Jump to solution
11-10-2016 01:13 PM
StephanieKozlowicz
New Contributor

I have added my wetlands file to my map, but when displayed, it is very rigid, as if it's not using all the points, just generalizing the polygon.  I have attached examples.  Why would it do this and can I fix it? This is the image displayed in the Web Map.This is the image in ArcMap, how I would like it to display in the Web Map.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Stephanie Kozlowicz

It appears that the top image is generalized whereas the bottom image is not generalized. To determine what is causing the issue, we'll need to know more about your workflow.

When you are adding a file directly to the web map, you will be asked if you want to generalize the data or not. If you want to keep the data detailed, I suggest not selecting the generalize data option.

Feel free to share your data or contact Esri Technical Support‌ if you want to look into this specific issue further.

-Kelly 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Stephanie,

I am guessing the top image is the web map? Where are you publishing from (ArcMap, Pro)? Is it a feature service or a map service, where is it published to (server, cloud, etc.)? Are there over a 1,000 vertices in your polygon features?

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you have an ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Organizational account? Then you could sign-in to AGOL from ArcMap and share the map as a hosted feature layer in AGOL. 

FAQ: Is there a feature limit in ArcGIS Online? 

Think Location
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Stephanie Kozlowicz

It appears that the top image is generalized whereas the bottom image is not generalized. To determine what is causing the issue, we'll need to know more about your workflow.

When you are adding a file directly to the web map, you will be asked if you want to generalize the data or not. If you want to keep the data detailed, I suggest not selecting the generalize data option.

Feel free to share your data or contact Esri Technical Support‌ if you want to look into this specific issue further.

-Kelly