Have a Question about Explode

11-09-2016 02:11 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I am working on soils that is so bad and I had to clean it up. The soils data itself has no metadata and has no descriptions for each soil polygons.  I don't know where that came from and I know it is a kind of old.  As I have been cleaning it up and I can see that somebody who did this probably obtained from some kind of satellite imagery and convert it to polygons. Because of the way the line do not look like smooth and looks like pixels to me and has no descriptions for the soil name and their map units. 

My question to you is that when I cleaned it up and I use the tool explode, it was 16,141 polygons before I hit the explode tool and after that it is 16,145. So that leaves 4 polygons that I need to find it.

I add a field column and I populated it before I ran the explode tool... How do I find the 4 remain polygons?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You should use Multipart To Singlepart—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop outside of an edit session. A field is in there that identifies the original IDs.  You could summarize that field, scroll down, do a difference field .... a whole bunch of ways depending on how big the file is

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

resolved? or still open?

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I have not resolved it yet. I am still working on and cleaning up the messy data I have. I will let you know once I clean it up. I found more errors on that data that I need to continue to fix it.  Thanks !

0 Kudos