OK to use Cascade template with another?

Jump to solution
11-09-2016 08:44 AM
MattElliott
New Contributor

In a previous map I combined two templates (Map Series and Map Tours) for one story map that fit our annual report display needs. Has anyone tried this with Cascade? Not sure which direction we'll go yet, but curious.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Matt,

Here's a blog on embedding story maps inside story maps that's been updated recently with a few tips about Cascade.

Embedding a Story Map within a Story Map | ArcGIS Blog 

In general, we'd recommend using this technique only when it's essential to your overall goal or story, so exercise caution and good judgement so as to not create something confusing and/or overwhelming for your audience. Often a set of individual story maps presented simply on a page of your website is better than trying to mash stories together into a single story map.

I would say embedding other story maps inside a Cascade story is not a good path to start down. The best Cascade stories we see are simple for the reader to use. Readers scroll through the story and the author configures the maps to show what needs to be shown at each point in the story. Introducing other elements that the reader has to stop and figure out how to interact with is often a distraction from the main story.

If there is supplemental or background information in another story map you can provide a link to that story so interested readers can open it immediately or at a later time when they are ready.

While it can work to embed a Cascade inside a Map Series or Map Journal, I would be cautious about this as well. Make sure to test your story at several screen resolutions to ensure it provides the experience you expect for anyone that reads it.

Hope this is helpful!

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Matt,

Here's a blog on embedding story maps inside story maps that's been updated recently with a few tips about Cascade.

Embedding a Story Map within a Story Map | ArcGIS Blog 

In general, we'd recommend using this technique only when it's essential to your overall goal or story, so exercise caution and good judgement so as to not create something confusing and/or overwhelming for your audience. Often a set of individual story maps presented simply on a page of your website is better than trying to mash stories together into a single story map.

I would say embedding other story maps inside a Cascade story is not a good path to start down. The best Cascade stories we see are simple for the reader to use. Readers scroll through the story and the author configures the maps to show what needs to be shown at each point in the story. Introducing other elements that the reader has to stop and figure out how to interact with is often a distraction from the main story.

If there is supplemental or background information in another story map you can provide a link to that story so interested readers can open it immediately or at a later time when they are ready.

While it can work to embed a Cascade inside a Map Series or Map Journal, I would be cautious about this as well. Make sure to test your story at several screen resolutions to ensure it provides the experience you expect for anyone that reads it.

Hope this is helpful!

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
MattElliott
New Contributor

Very helpful info and opinion. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Here's an example I fished out of the Story Maps Gallery featuring Story Map Cascades embedded in a Story Map Series, one per tab:

For the Fish: The Stories of Alaska's Fish Habitat Partnerships

http://fws.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=c27f94d3a26442589b97f6e59a10d9b5 

See what you think. Try also resizing your web browser to simulate what a mobile device user would see, or open it on such a device.

Rupert

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Also, here's a different way to present a set of Story Map Cascades.

On this web page, many of the clickable green dots open a Cascade story about that location (or scroll down below the map for a list). 

http://conservationphotographers.org/expeditions/ 

Each of the Cascade stories that you can launch is actually embedded in a page in that website so that the website branding and navigation is retained, and the look and feel is integrated and seamless. For example see: http://conservationphotographers.org/?expedition=palau 

This is a nice way to present a collection of story maps (see other examples here) but I'm not sure if it would work well for an annual report.

Rupert

0 Kudos