Random and bizarre characters in 123 and Connect123 on Mac and iOS

11-08-2016 01:38 PM
DirkVandervoort
Occasional Contributor II

Usually they appear in title bars and message boxes.

I've experienced this in Survey123 on iPad (3rd) and just today on Survey123-Connect on my MacBook (see screen snap below). I have an iPad Air (2nd) that I have not experienced this on. I can't recreate this, although in general it seems to happen after I do "a bunch of stuff", and so far as I can tell some network traffic may be involved.

Has anybody else experienced this and don't anybody have any advice for avoiding it - particularly when I am giving demonstrations   TIA

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dirk, 

We experienced this on iOS devices that were being used in Senegal - we thought it might have been down to the devices being bought locally and them struggling with language conversion? Only one user in the field encountered this issue. Force closing the app or uninstalling/reinstalling the app fixed the problem for us.

Carmel

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. This garbled text is a known issue we are  trying to resolve. The problem is specific to iOS 10 devices.

0 Kudos
DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

I have also had this problem, however I feel that it may have been resolved after the last update as I have not seen it since I installed it.

(A side note; the connect app doesn't automatically update, and doesn't appear to notify you when a new version is available. The iOS app does, but you need to manually install the new connect version... I couldn't figure out why I was stuck on version 1.8!!)

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.

The original issue with garbled  text should have been addressed with the 1.10 release (https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/12/20/international-human-solidarity-day-relea... ). If you can reproduce this problem with version 1.10, please let us know the details.

Survey123 Connect updates: Starting with the next update of Connect, you should start getting notifications. We added a check in 1.10 so whenever we update the software you will see a warning when you start Connect. Thanks for pointing this out. It has been an enhancement request some people asked for.

Ismael

0 Kudos