Share of River Catchments in Grid

11-07-2016 08:15 AM
GZi
by
New Contributor

Hello Community, i have a question regarding grids in Arcmap 10.0. So I want to calculate the share each of the brown areas,separated by the grey outlines,  with each square of the fishnet grid.

Both are Shapefile-Feature-Classes, the single features being identified by "objectid" and "id". I have tried Tabulate Area, it only gives me results for one objectid though. But I need the share of each area with every single square.

Could I maybe do this with Intersect? How do I intersect single features of a layer?

Thanks for help!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you have access to an Advanced ArcGIS license, there is a handy geoprocessing tool that will accomplish what you need.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) - Tabulate Intersection (Analysis)

Note that you will want to fill out the Class Fields (optional) and Sum Fields (optional) settings.

If you don't have access to an Advanced license, it could get a bit more involved depending upon your data.  One could run an Intersect (Analysis), then in Excel do a Pivot Table.  The tricky part will be if you end up with multiple polygons of the same ID in the same Fishnet, as the multiple polygon with the same ID will be be listed separately and not aggregated.

Chris Donohue, GISP