How can we get a version 8 Bing Map with esri.virtualearth.VETiledLayer?

11-02-2016 07:02 PM
JeannetteAtkinson1
New Contributor

I need to upgrade to Bing Maps V8, and esri.virtualearth.VETiledLayer uses older versions.  Is there a parameter to get a Bing Map V8?  Or is there another esri layer method we can use to get Bing Map V8?  I looked at the API, and do not see a way to pass in the version to the VETiledLayer.

The version can be identified from the Bing logo at the bottom left corner of the map.  If it is upper case 'B', then it is version 8.  

This is the way I invoke the layer:

var map = new esri.Map("map");
//Creates the Virtual Earth layer to add to the map
veTileLayer = new esri.virtualearth.VETiledLayer(...

And this is the map with the logo all in lower case:

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeannette,

Is there some feature of v8 that you are needing? Currently there is not configuration that you can make to allow you to force v8.

0 Kudos
JeannetteAtkinson1
New Contributor

Good Morning Robert,

Thanks for your reply. The older versions of Bing Map will no longer be served after the end of the month. My concern is that the map, and its functionality may disappear by December 1st.

The following is the image that the users see that shows the old 2010 date as well as the lower case bing logo that identifies older versions:

This is the code that loads it:

function (Map, Extent, Point, webMercatorUtils, SpatialReference, VETiledLayer, VEGeocoder, WebTiledLayer, PictureMarkerSymbol, Graphic) {

var startExtent = new Extent(-84.316, 34.988, -75.866, 36.552, new SpatialReference({ wkid: 4326 }));

var geoResults;

map = new Map("TheMap", );

var veTileLayer = new VETiledLayer();

map.addLayer(veTileLayer);

Perhaps there is another way I can invoke the layer that will bring up the latest version.

Thank you,

Jeannette

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeannette,

All I can say is that esri will not allow their implementation of VETiledLayer just quit working. They have a great working relationship with Microsoft and are aware of version changes and service access end dates.

0 Kudos