I can't seem to configure a popup in ArcGIS Online. I have enabled and disabled multiple times and even removed the layer and readded it. I click on Configure Popup and nothing happens. What is going on with this?
Ultimately, this had to do with a specific feature class that had somehow become corrupted. I exported it out to a file geodatabase and then imported it back into my SDE. Here is the solution write up by Support:
Issue was due to a specific feature class. Able to configure pop-ups after exporting this feature class out to a new feature class and then publishing.
I have a few questions about the pop-up issue:
- Which browser are you using?
- Does this same behavior happen in other browsers?
- Is the feature layer shared with the public? If so please provide a link.
- Is this a hosted feature service or an ArcGIS for Server service?
I was using Chrome but I tried Internet Explorer and I am experiencing the same behavior.
The service is an ArcGIS for Server service.
The problem just cropped up and had not been occurring before.
I can enable pop ups on most of the layers in this web map, but not the annotation layer. Which layers are you trying to enable pop ups for?
I am working with spaces. I can enable the popups just fine, I just can't configure them. For instance, for the link I wanted to change the text to something besides More Info and there are several fields that are duplicates that I would rather just turn off. Normally these things are simple to fix but only if the configuration dialog comes up. When I do step 3 for Configure popups at Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS
Hello White,You can hide or unselect those fields which are not required to show in popup ..this is the best way and also improve your web page rendering and performance also improve.
That's exactly what I am trying to do, but when I hit configure, nothing happens.
Or maybe I am missing what you are saying. Are you suggesting I do this in ArcMap before I publish the service? I can certainly agree with you on that point, but I still need the ability to change the text that shows up for the link. "More info" doesn't really make sense for what I am wanting the user to do.
I would like to get a support case created for this issue. I will send you a direct message.
Thanks, I have started the process
Hi Josh White,
If you have time could you post the solution provided from the Support case? This may be helpful for other community members who come across this post.
I had a similar issue recently and resolved it my resetting the field order of the attributes in the feature layer in my original MXD and then publishing the service again, see link below for more details...
Why can't I continue configuring the pop-ups on my AGOL map?
I will try to remember this tidbit if it happens to me again. I read through your thread too, almost identical issue to mine. Oddly, even though multiple people are reporting this, Esri didn't seem to know what was causing this issue. In my case, this wasn't the first time I had had the issue with the particular feature class I was working with. What was most frustrating for me was that it didn't throw an error of any kind and nothing showed up in the logs, it just didn't work and the only way to show the problem was screensharing or a video like Brian O'keefe posted.
I have been having this issue frequently lately. It happens every time we change the layer order in an MXD that is being used in an arcgis online map. It is a pain to have to completely delete and republish and re add everything to the web map and it still doesn't clear reliably. It feels an awful lot to me like the issue that used to exist in the flex viewer where the layers and attributes in the layers had a number assigned to each attribute class and adding anything to the webmap would throw the numbering into chaos. I say this because we have noticed that sometimes if we do not republish it pulls the attribute data from the wrong layer when you click on a feature. It should not be breaking every time you add a new attribute or layer to an mxd that is being used in an online service. I think this is a software bug.
Its definitely a bug and Esri wont do anything about it. I'm guessing its because in Pro this supposedly doesn't happen. I wont switch to Pro because there are too many missing features still AND it has a learning curve.
I actually found another forum that seems to have a working solution for this that does not require recreating your features. It appears that this bug is caused by adding new fields to a feature. If there are any fields after the default esri fields ArcGIS online will not behave properly. After I went into my MXD and reordered the fields so all esri fields are the last to appear in the field order and republished the ability to configure the pop-up was restored. I did notice that if I was configuring the popups for my web map and I hit upon a broken layer I could no longer configure popups for any other layers until I closed out of the web map and reopened it so save often. Still not the ideal situation but much easier than rebuilding features entirely.
Retrieving data ...