Is it possible to store "i" Arcmap Info fields and contents in a geodatabase?

Jump to solution
10-31-2016 08:23 AM
AdrianaStanciu
New Contributor II

I am trying to figure out how to create and populate info fields for each shape in a polygon feature class, so that when selecting the info tool "i" and each individual polygon, the relevant information is displayed. I would like to be able to store and update the information in a geodatabase table since this information would be changing. Has anyone tried to store information in this manner?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Have you tried turning the unwanted fields off? Right-click the field name in the attribute table and choose 'Turn Field Off'. More methods for turning fields off here.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Just to get this discussion started, how is your idea different from what already happens when you click the 'i' tool? It shows the information from the attribute table for that polygon. I don't see how your idea is different from that.

AdrianaStanciu
New Contributor II

Hi Darren,

Sorry about the lack of clarity. Let me try to explain with an example:

I have a feature class with polygons. The  geodatabase Table for this feature class has several fields, including the Object ID, Shape type (polygon), Shape.stArea(), ShapeSTLength, and some other custom fields i added when  I created the feature class. When i choose the "i" (Identify) and select one of the existing polygons, I see all of these fields and their values. However, i would only like to see maybe 2-3 of these fields shown instead of 10. Is it possible to somehow remove fields from the "i" window only, or create a separate table in a geodatabase that the "i" fields would link to? I am trying to make sure that when i publish the feature class as a service and select the "i". the changes propagate (i.e. number of visible fields) and if i create new polygons, those will also have the same 2-3 fields showing.

Thank you!

Adriana

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Have you tried turning the unwanted fields off? Right-click the field name in the attribute table and choose 'Turn Field Off'. More methods for turning fields off here.

DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

You can save the fields you want to see/don't see in a .lyr file.

If you really need to customize the Information tool beyond field choices, that is what an HTML Popup is.