Does Collector for ArcGIS require Server?

Jump to solution
10-28-2016 03:05 PM
KB1
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm very new to the ArcGIS suite of tools and I'm trying to find out if ArcGIS for Server is a requirement in order to use the Data Collector app.  My preference would be to create an ArcGIS Online account and setup my maps there, then use Collector to capture points in the field on a mobile device (Offline) which would then be sync'd upon reconnect when not in the field or connected.

Is this functionality possible?  I've been reading a lot about this type of scenario but there seems to be conflicting information about it.  Keeping costs down would be the driving force behind this approach.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

Same capabilities. ArcGIS online is updated before the onsite install files are released.

Any differences are unrelated to ESRI capabilities; ie where data resides, Intranet only access, access 'behind the scenes' etc etc

View solution in original post

4 Replies
GISSupport3

You can have ArcGIS Server (and Portal) on site / in house or use ArcGIS Online where ESRI runs the Server and Portal.

KB1
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response.  So, creating the ArcGIS online where ESRI runs the server and portal would have the same capabilities as the onsite install?

Is there any glaring feature limitations by using one approach over the other?

0 Kudos
GISSupport3

Same capabilities. ArcGIS online is updated before the onsite install files are released.

Any differences are unrelated to ESRI capabilities; ie where data resides, Intranet only access, access 'behind the scenes' etc etc

KB1
by
New Contributor II

Great, thanks!

0 Kudos