datum transformations in 10.1

10-28-2016 04:40 AM
JustinWolff
Occasional Contributor

For various reasons our organization still uses ArcGIS 10.1.  Our geodatabases have multiple feature datasets, but they all have a common coordinate system.  Individual geodatabases represent specific sites across the country.  I'm using the batch project tool to reproject several gdb that are in UTM WGS84 to the local State Plane NAD83.  It doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not I apply a transformation or not during the reprojection, as the outputs behave the same in ArcMap.  When adding to ArcMap, if I do not use a transformation in the data frame coordinate system, they don't align but will when I apply a transformation.  It does not matter if the data frame is in WGS84 or NAD83.  The transformation I'm using is WGS_1984_(ITRF00)_To_NAD_1983.

If I apply a transformation during the reprojection, shouldn't that negate the need to manually apply a transformation in ArcMap? 

Thanks

Justin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

MKennedy-esristaff‌ may know if this is version specific, given you are working in 10.1

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Side note: the Batch Project tool has been problematic in the past, so I'm glad it's working for you. You can also right-click the Project Tool and get a batch version of it.

I don't know why you're getting the same (good) results whether or not you set a transformation in the Batch Project tool. It could be picking up the transformation from the an internal active list of transformations (GeoTransformation Operation Set).

We don't set any transformations in ArcMap, you need to set it to match the Project tool, as you've found.

Melita

0 Kudos
JustinWolff
Occasional Contributor

Dan and Melita,

Thanks for the replies.  We've tested this every way we can, and are simply giving up.  We had planned on creating check-outs from sde (which is GCS WGS84 in our fused environment) into local State Plane NAD83, but are giving up and creating check-outs in local UTM WGS84 instead. 

Justin

0 Kudos