Map Tile Export

Jump to solution
10-27-2016 10:47 AM
KonstantinGorskov
New Contributor

Hi! Does any know know good tutorial for exporting map as tiles? I can not find any, and I have problems. I assume the only way to do so is to use Data Driven Pages. I have 3 layers on the map, and I want to export each on as large 10000x10000 tiles. One of the layers is dem map which uses 32bit float, and for Data Drive Pages all I can export are 8bit images.

Is data driven pages really the only way to export map layers as large tiles?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Konstantin, there is a lot to read and no quick fix that will suit all requirements

Introduction to arcpy.mapping—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

DataDrivenPages—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KonstantinGorskov
New Contributor

I tired using this code to export:

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("CURRENT")
for pageNum in range(7014, 7016):
mxd.dataDrivenPages.currentPageID = pageNum
arcpy.mapping.ExportToJPEG(mxd, r"C:\Temp\ParcelAtlas_Page" + str(pageNum) + ".jpg", '', 10000, 10000, 1000)
del mxd

But that is crazy, final result comes up in random sizes with white marghin around the map, I noticed that for some reason 'Page and Print Setup' influences how the final image looks, but it has no suqre options, only stuff like A4/A5 paper. Did I forgot some important step before enabling data driven, to make sure it properly renders all pages as squares? I need to render every page at 1:1890 resolution, which is its original

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Konstantin, there is a lot to read and no quick fix that will suit all requirements

Introduction to arcpy.mapping—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

DataDrivenPages—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
KonstantinGorskov
New Contributor

Got it, thank you! Will solve it little by little.

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

What do you mean by "tiles"?

Are you building a tile cache for web services?  An overview of the Tile Cache toolset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Are you trying to cut up your data into more manageable sections retaining the same format and datatype?

Are you trying to create a series of map images from your data ? 

0 Kudos