ArcGIS Pro Labeling in multiple layouts

Jump to solution
10-24-2016 05:44 AM
JohnBrockwell
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to produce labels for point features in different sizes depending on my layout. I have a layout at 8.5x11 and the labels need to be 7 pt. I produce the same exact map at 24x36 and the labels need to be 10.5 pt. I can't seem to get the feature class to behave differently in each layout view. Is this the way it is suppose to work?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

You should not need to reset them if each label class has a scale range setup that's appropriate for the scales being mapped.  The label class for the 11x17 should draw at 1:3000 and the other should draw at 1:6,300 and the drawing will just flip to the correct one based on scale.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

Are those two maps the same scale?  If not, use label classes with different scale ranges set on them to switch between font sizes.

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

No. One map is 11x17 1:3,000. The other map is ANSI D 2'x3' the scale is about 1:6,300

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Text symbols—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop the font size to inch conversion in this link will help in the scale determination if you haven't already confirmed this

0 Kudos
JohnBrockwell

Dan, Craig,

Thank you both for your feedback. I setup two sets of label classes for. One for my 11x17 map and one for my 24x36. I found that I still had to reset the label each time I 'flipped' between layouts. Does this seem accurate?

0 Kudos
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

You should not need to reset them if each label class has a scale range setup that's appropriate for the scales being mapped.  The label class for the 11x17 should draw at 1:3000 and the other should draw at 1:6,300 and the drawing will just flip to the correct one based on scale.

MaribethPrice
Occasional Contributor

Have you tried using a reference scale? If you set the label sizes appropriately for one map, they will then be scaled proportionally when you view the other map. Just set up your labels for one map, then right-click the map and choose Set Reference Scale.

Map reference scales—Properties of maps | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos