Pre-loading location data in Survey 123-help!

10-12-2016 10:02 AM
BrittanyBankovich
New Contributor II

Hi all,

Many of my agency's mobile data collection has thus far been accomplished using the Fulcrum application, but a few our of groups requested switching over to Survey123/Collector. In Fulcrum, I typically design the app and then import an ESRI Shapefile of point locations. These point locations show up on a map in the app and users can navigate to a point, click it, and enter all of the survey information they need. I am looking for a similar set-up/user experience with Survey123 (or possibly Collector), and it is important to have repeatable nested fields (users collect vegetation species data along with percent cover of each plant species). Designing the app in Survey123 seems simple enough, but I am struggling to understand how I can attach location data to each record (we have hundreds of points to visit), visualize the points on a map, and navigate to the points as we do in Fulcrum. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bethany,

This is can be done with a combination of Collector and Survey123.  To link the two together, you would set the pop-up of the web map in Collector with a app link url as described in https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... .  The link can prefill information into the Survey123 form and provide the point location.

Taku_RiverTlingit
New Contributor III

Even though this is a while ago, in case somebody has the same question:

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/06/08/calculations-on-geopoints 

This blog post basically describes how to automatically fill the coordinates of a geopoint question based on the pre-determined location of a sample site.

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

In some cases, using two applications back and forth can be overwhelming to people. Another approach to this is to use the Survey123 Inbox. 

1- Publish your Survey

2- Load (append) your existing shapefile into the feature layer of your survey.

3- Activate the Inbox in Survey123 Connect, set an Instance Name and publish

4- In the Survey123 field app, click on Refresh in the Inbox to bring your data into Survey123. Records will be displayed as a table and map so you can open the record and edit their information

Prepare for editing existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Instance name—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

This video shows the basics of the Inbox

0 Kudos
BonnieYung
New Contributor

Hi Ismael, I am a new user for this survey 123 apps too.  I have a question for you regarding the pre-loading locations into survey123 and hopefully you can give me an overall idea of how to deal with this apps.  For example, i have a address list (around 700 addresses) and would like to get a new survey on each address.  You mentioned that i can use the Survey 123 Inbox to upload all the pre-loading locations.  would that mean i need to create point feature for all 700 addresses and export as a feature service first?  And once i start to work on survey123, I can use this feature service on the survey 123 map? Can I query out specific request like - i only want to show all the address points on the survey apps when "fire_trucks =  120C"....something like that.  Please let me know, thanks.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bonnie,

Yes, what you describe (pre-create the points, use the inbox to load the form with the existing location) can work as you describe; you also can additionally create a filter as you describe, provided the data exists in the same table.

0 Kudos