Can I update a feature layer in ArcGIS Online without loosing attachments?

10-13-2016 03:37 PM
JonathanSanford
New Contributor II

I have a point feature layer in AGOL that represents water meters and will be updated with new information monthly. I also need to take pictures of each meter, which are stored as attachments in AGOL for reference. The problem I’m running into is that whenever I update the meters layer each month, I will lose any attachments when the layer is updated. Is there a way that I can update a layer in AGOL without losing the attachments?

My current solution for this is to have two copies of the same layer in AGOL: one for updates, and one for photo attachments. Does anyone have a better solution?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

How are you updating the layer? There are a few options so understanding your exact workflow will be helpful.

Are you overwriting the feature service to update the data? In the update are attributes being changed or is new data being added or a combination of both?

-Kelly 

0 Kudos
JonathanSanford
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your response. I am overwriting the feature service when I update the layer. In the updates only attributes are being changed.

Thanks,

-J.

0 Kudos
JonathanSanford
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly,

I’ve figured out how to link a meter photo to a feature in ArcGIS Online:

-I upload photos into a folder in my content

-I share those photos publically, enabling me to get the URL for each photo

-The URLs for each photo are saved as an attribute (Photo_URL) in the water meter’s layer

-In Collector, the pop-up for the meter’s layer is set to display the picture via the "Photo_URL" attribute

-I can overwrite the feature layer without losing the connection to the photo.

From what I can tell, sharing a photo publically is the only way to get a URL for that photo. I need a URL in order to link each photo to a feature. Is there a way to get the URL for a photo saved in My Content without sharing it publically? If not, what are the risks involved with sharing a photo publically? The photos may contain customer information that needs to stay private.

What are Esri’s workflows and best practices for this situation?

Thanks,

-J.