Microsoft SQL 2016 Management Studio breaks ArcGIS Pro 1.3 and 1.3.1 SDE data connections
I ran across this on Monday and wanted to make others aware of the issue. I will post the fix after I try somethings out.
Issue: Had ArcGIS Pro 1.3 installed and working with SDE Connections to SDE 10.1-10.3 databases. Installed Microsoft SQL 2016 Server Management Studio from Microsoft at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx.
At the next start of ArcGIS Pro 1.3 all connections to SDE data sources were Brocken (Red ! marks).
1. installed ArcGIS Pro Patch #1, did not resolve the problem.
2. repairing SQL 2012 Native Clients, did not resolve the problem.
3. Uninstalled ALL Microsoft SQL Server 2016 components from add/remove programs, failed to remove all components
5. Re-downloaded the SQL 2016 Server Management Studio install package and ran it, but selected UNINSTALL. This successfully removed all components.
6. Uninstalled SQL 2012 Native Client (64bit)
7. Reinstalled SQL 2012 Native Clients (64 bit)
Now all the connections are working again.
Note - attached is the ArcGIS Pro error message I received when I navigated directly to the SDE connection file I was using in my basemap. Note this message implies ArcGIS Pro 'does not support the given version or format' of the SDE database; in reality it is the Microsoft SQL components that do not support it, when you load/reinstall the correct (older) versions the SDE connections come back to life.