When

Jump to solution
10-10-2016 09:50 PM
StefanSundvall
New Contributor II

When will Explorer for ArcGIS Desktop (Windows) be available?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisLeSueur
Esri Contributor

Stefan,

The team at Esri is not ready to announce anything about Explorer for ArcGIS on Windows just yet...but if/when we do I would be looking for a beta early next year with possibility of a release mid-year.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

your options for Explorer anything are ArcGIS Explorer | GIS Viewer | Free GIS Software & Maps which suggests an  operating system division

0 Kudos
StefanSundvall
New Contributor II

As to my knowledge, ArcGIS Explorer Desktop is the old version built on a different technology than Explorer for ArcGIS. Has that been changed recently?

I have tested the old version a year ago. That was a bit shaky and the recommendation i got back then was to wait for the new Explorer version. 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So I guess the wait is on for an announcement which doesn't usually occur in advance, especially since ArcGIS Online is pretty well the substitute for most and ArcGIS Earth is out as a viewer.  What specific capabilities in a free viewer are you looking for? or are you looking for some query capabilities not offered by both the existing offerings?

EDIT  

I will flag timothy_hales-esristaff‌ and CCatania-esristaff‌ and DOpgenorth-esristaff‌ to see if this product is being revitalized.  I just noticed that this Place has a paltry number of queries and a somewhat dismal activity level.  If it is still an active product, surely someone can determine whether there is still ongoing development or whether substitutes for its capabilities (aka.... free) are being offered by one product or a combination of several

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In the OP's defense, not necessarily that one is needed, it can be difficult at times to know which way is up with Esri products given how they like to recycle terms and constantly change product names.  I can't help but think of ArcGIS for Server.  Oh wait, sorry, ArcGIS Server.  Nope, don't think that is right, ArcGIS Enterprise?    Ah, ArcGIS 10.5 will be fun and confusing on the server side.

0 Kudos
ChrisLeSueur
Esri Contributor

Stefan,

The team at Esri is not ready to announce anything about Explorer for ArcGIS on Windows just yet...but if/when we do I would be looking for a beta early next year with possibility of a release mid-year.