For the second time when investigating why our primary production database is slow I found that the edit tables are not compressing. The version tree from GDBTools is showing a pretty good compression each time but those edits still remain. It turns out that once again when I removed two replications they are taken out of all database tables except SDE_Versions. These two versions are acting as blocking states keeping 2 months worth of edits from compressing. The only way I've found to fix this is to back up the database and delete the rows from the table directly. I deleted them in descending order of creation date compressing between deletes. After the last compress all the edit tables were clean and empty and the database had updated all the state lineage numbers automatically. No edits were lost as far as we have been able to tell. I don't know if its just our database but DBA's may want to keep this in mind.