Automating Some ArcGIS Online Web Map Tasks

10-06-2016 07:47 PM
GregConiglio
New Contributor III

Hello!  I have some questions about possibly automating some minor but still sometimes annoying tasks building ArcGIS Online maps that are being used on web browsers and in Collector.

1. Disabling Editing.  Often we have many many layers but just one or two that should be editable (with the rest being for reference only).  So we right click and select "Disable Editing" for most layers.

2. Renaming Layers.  By default layers come in as "Feature Service - Layer Name".  The end user is usually only interested in "Layer Name".  So we'll right click each layer click "Rename" and remove "Feature Service -"

I was trying to find samples.... Could we use python to automate these two tasks?  Some of our maps have almost 100 layers in them!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlisonWalker
Occasional Contributor

Hi Greg,  Hope you're doing well!  

You might check out the GeoJobe admin tools if you haven't already.  I'm not sure about this specific functionality.  I'm pretty sure you can deal with the editing, but I'm not sure about the naming, but you will find tons of other awesome functionality in there.  Give me a call if you have questions about it.  Here's a link to their YouTube channel: GEO-Jobe - YouTube 

0 Kudos
JeffSegal
New Contributor III

Hi Greg,

Yes you can do both via python.

Check out the Feature Layer section of the  ArcGIS Rest API: Feature Layer

And send your updates via  Update Definition Feature Layer

Cheers!

Jeff

0 Kudos
GregConiglio
New Contributor III

Thanks Jeff and Alison!  I will check this out!  I have worked with the REST API and Python but have to look for examples.  This will save us a lot of time!!!

0 Kudos