Shortlist Storymap problem - symbols not appearing on map, some entries not showing.?

Jump to solution
10-04-2016 03:42 PM
Connor_Spence
New Contributor II

Hi all, I am creating a Shortlist storymap about accommodation, food, etc. I have a problem when I add a new entry - the symbols don't appear on the map. I have heard this is caused by a missing attribute (shortlist ID or Number?)..

I would like to know the best way of editing this? I have created the shortlist online from scratch by clicking the "build a shortlist" button. If there is an easier way to add entries to the shortlist that differs to how I am doing it please let me know.

Also, some entries to the shortlist don't register - for example, I will add a 5th and 6th accommodation, however only the 1-4 + 6th entry will be displayed, does this have something to do with what I detailed above or is it to do with image size/dimensions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Apologies again for the issue.  After doing lots of digging, I have been able to reproduce and diagnose the problem, which is a bug on our side.  Unfortunately this fix will not show up until our next release (early December), but a work around is available.  

Workaround:

1.  Open the web map used in the Shortlist app in the ArcGIS online web map viewer.

2.  Click 'Share' button, then 'Create a web App' button.

3.  Pick the Shortlist app.

4.  The Shortlist will then launch in a mode that will allow you to use your existing Shortlist point layer as the data source.  The app will copy the web map to a new web map, preserving all of the work you did in adding places and all of its information.  You should then be able to continue adding places successfully.  

We hope this is a reasonable solution to your problem and does not eat up anymore of your time.  Let us know if you have any issues with this work around and we will do our best to get you back on track.

-Mark

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Conner, 

Sorry about the issue. If you are building a Shortlist from scratch, there are no attributes you have to enter. Are you sure you are starting from scratch (i.e. you didn't create your Shortlist using point data in an existing web map).

First thing to check is have you specified an image and a location for each place. The Shortlist Builder lets you add a place without giving it an image or a location. But when you save your Shortlist and view it in the same way one of your end users will (i.e. not in the Builder) any places that don't have an image or a location are automatically not displayed. Also by default, tabs in the Builder tabs show you all the places in your Shortlist irrespective of your map location, but by default when the Shortlist is viewed outside the Builder, it only shows places in the current map extent.

Rupert

0 Kudos
ChrisShuma
New Contributor II

Hello Rupert,

I am having similar issues to Conner while assuring my new entry is located within the initial extent and includes an image. I currently have 4 working entries in my Shortlist tab. I can add a 5th entry and save within the builder, but when closing the builder and viewing the application the entry is no longer there.

Also, if I add a 5th and a 6th entry, I only see 1-4 & 6 when launching the application. It is a very odd issue and was surprised to find another user seeing the same thing!

Thank you,

Chris

0 Kudos
Connor_Spence
New Contributor II

Hi Rupert,

What Chris Shuma has commented is exactly the problem I am having (and other colleagues at my work and outside of work). Have tried this on multiple browsers and the same issue ensues.

To make matters worse I had two columns that I was working with and after having a break from the shortlist for a few days I have logged back in to see one column has been wiped?

Very bizarre as it is still in the webmap that is automatically created when creating the shortlist from scratch. I am currently working on a new version within ArcPro which I will publish as a webmap then try and create the shortlist from that webmap. Will keep you all updated.

Cheers,

Connor

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

Hi guys,

Sorry you having issues with the Shortlist app.  To correct what Rupert said above, the Shortlist viewer only displays places that have a set location, large picture, and place name.  Are these places that are not showing in the viewer still loading/showing in the builder?  Can you provide some links to your apps for us to take a look?  Feel free to DM me if you do not want to post them here.

-Mark

0 Kudos
ChrisShuma
New Contributor II

Hey Mark,

Here is a link to the current app, and if you look at the third tab (Other Governmental Facilities) you can see the lack of a 5th point. I can add the point with all the correct elements in the builder and save, but when opening the app the point is no longer there. I can continue adding a 7th and 8th point but it will still not display the 5th no matter the location/picture/text elements.

http://arcg.is/2dqrBds

Thank you for looking into this!

Chris

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

Apologies again for the issue.  After doing lots of digging, I have been able to reproduce and diagnose the problem, which is a bug on our side.  Unfortunately this fix will not show up until our next release (early December), but a work around is available.  

Workaround:

1.  Open the web map used in the Shortlist app in the ArcGIS online web map viewer.

2.  Click 'Share' button, then 'Create a web App' button.

3.  Pick the Shortlist app.

4.  The Shortlist will then launch in a mode that will allow you to use your existing Shortlist point layer as the data source.  The app will copy the web map to a new web map, preserving all of the work you did in adding places and all of its information.  You should then be able to continue adding places successfully.  

We hope this is a reasonable solution to your problem and does not eat up anymore of your time.  Let us know if you have any issues with this work around and we will do our best to get you back on track.

-Mark

AliciaLindbom
New Contributor

Hi Mark and other commenters,

I have a similar issue. Back in Feb 2018, I worked for hours on a Storymap and I know I saved it, as I opened it later to show my husband. Today, April 2018, I went into my account, opened the map and can't see anything except tabs and title. My summary is gone, my points, my text, everything! And it looks different with the Shortlist Builder Beta at the top and the way it wants to import points. So maybe there was an upgrade between the time I created it and now, but where did everything I worked on go?

I tried to walk through Mark's steps listed above, however, the only option I have to share is public or private, no option to "create a web app." Also the map is listed in my content as a web mapping app. I can see it in My Stories also, but again, no data except title and tabs. It's all really disappointing. I have made Storymaps before with no problems. For this one, I added the data points from scratch, typing in the address to locate the points, then adding text. So maybe because I didn't put a photo with each it didn't save them? But again, I did show my husband a few hours later after logging out and back in.

Any thoughts or suggestions or ways to find all I already did is much appreciated! Let me know if there is more information or links I should attach.

TIA,

Alicia

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

Hi Alicia,

Are you experiencing this in the builder or viewer mode of your Shortlist?  If you are looking at the viewer mode of your story, only points that have photos, locations, and titles will be displayed.  If you are looking at the builder mode, all of your points should be available to see.

Mark

0 Kudos