Create a timeline graphic for tracking data

09-29-2016 03:06 PM
JeremyOlynik1
New Contributor

Hi all,

I have some acoustic tag data for shark movements where there will be a record at 1 of 32 acoustic 'listening stations' with time and date.  I have used tracking analyst to create the points and lines showing the movements of each shark.  What I would like to do is show when the shark was at each receiver and for how long it may have stayed and then when it was recorded at the next receiver.  I was thinking of creating a graphic with a simple line as a timeline (ie/ Dec 2010 to Dec 2013) and simply notate with a dash and label for which receiver picked it up at that time.  I'd like it to be 'true' as in data-based distances between each dash.  

Does anyone have any ideas what I could try to accomplish this or other ideas for quickly representing the same thing?

Many thanks,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a visual might help, since I am guessing that there are largish gaps in the time line and you wish to infer a path from the temporally discontinuous data in the best way possible?

0 Kudos
JeremyOlynik1
New Contributor

Thanks Dan. Exactly, there are large gaps in the data temporally.  I am now thinking of using a Gantt chart to display the data although I'm not looking forward to organizing it so that it will easily be represented.  I'll have to brush up on my Microsoft Project skills I guess!  I assume there is nothing within ArcGIS that can accomplish this task.  

0 Kudos