Cannot Add user or connect to database server as another user in catalog

09-26-2016 02:21 PM
Kerry_-_AnnHarriott1
New Contributor II

Hello

I have my workgroup database set up on my computer (let's call it "workgroup\sqlexpress")and i was able to create and connect to my database server in ArcCatalog just fine. I'm able to create geodatabases and i have attached geodatabases. I actually had to paste the .mdf file in program Files/microsoft sql server.....Data folder in order to attach the geodatabase otherwise browsing to another location resulted in a failure to attach. I had previously granted permission to 2 existing users on my local network (let's call them COMPANY\jbrown & COMPANY\rwhite") and that was done successfully. I tried to add another user today, however i can't and i'm not sure how to fix this. I can tell what the problem; when i go to permissions and Add user, in the select group or user dialog under the "From this Location" when i select the "Locations" button I can't browse to my network "COMPANY", I only have the option to add users from my local computer name "workgroup" and can't go any further than there.

my second issue is that when I asked "COMPANY\jbrown" to log in and the add database server "workgroup\sqlexpress" he gets the failure message about Cannot connect or add database server. This person is set up as a Geodatabase Administrator so they have appropriate privileges. 

I'm not sure what to do here; i'm still relatively new to server and database servers so any help from anyone would be so appreciated.

thanks much

0 Kudos
0 Replies