After Windows 10 upgrade attempting to use an Excel .xlsx file crashes ArcMap

Jump to solution
09-15-2016 11:38 AM
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

We are seeing an issue that is occurring after an employee’s Operating System is upgraded to Windows 10.

PROBLEM:

After a computer is upgraded to Windows 10 and Office 2016 users are unable to use EXCEL .xlsx files in ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1. Attempting to use an Excel file .xlsx file can cause ArcMap to crash.

REASON:

During the upgrade Office 2016 is installed and all previous versions of Office removed. This removes the Office 2007 connectors that allowed 32 bit applications (like ArcGIS Desktop) to read.xlsx files. These are required if you have an .xlsx file you want to use in ArcGIS but do not have Excel 2007 installed. The 2007 Office System Driver can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center. If you have Microsoft Excel 2010 and higher or no version of Microsoft Excel installed, you STILL must install the 2007 driver before you can use .xls AND .xlsx files.

FIX:

Install the Office 2007 data connectivity components from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23734.

Hope this helps someone!

Rich Daniels

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardDaniels

During computer life cycles most users go from Office 2010, to 2012, etc. as an upgrade. When done in this fashion the compatibility pieces from previous versions of Office remain.  I believe we did not notice the Office 2007 dependency in the past because of this. With the Windows 10 upgrade and simultaneous upgrade to Office 2016 we, in effect, cleared this history and removed all the old compatibility components (i.e., dll registration).

In answer to your question regarding Desktop 10.4, if the Excel XLSX files are working with ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 they should continue to work with Desktop 10.4. The issue appears to be an undocumented dependency on Microsoft Office

View solution in original post

12 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Thanks Rich,  great tip!   But what media is that W:\DOTApps UNC a link to?

Also, should folks assume similar issues with 10.4 and 10.4.1 on upgrade?

Stuart

RichardDaniels

During computer life cycles most users go from Office 2010, to 2012, etc. as an upgrade. When done in this fashion the compatibility pieces from previous versions of Office remain.  I believe we did not notice the Office 2007 dependency in the past because of this. With the Windows 10 upgrade and simultaneous upgrade to Office 2016 we, in effect, cleared this history and removed all the old compatibility components (i.e., dll registration).

In answer to your question regarding Desktop 10.4, if the Excel XLSX files are working with ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 they should continue to work with Desktop 10.4. The issue appears to be an undocumented dependency on Microsoft Office

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Richard Daniels‌ thanks for this, you saved me from going berserk and taking a sledge hammer to the server!  

I upgraded to Office 2016 and then half my MXD's would crash when they were trying to open. Turned out these had links to Excel worksheets. Your advice to download the Office 2007 data connectivity components solved the issue.

RichardDaniels

One issue with this solution is if you install the 2007 components then run Access 2016, Office will automatically 'upgrade' some components, which breaks this Fix. As a work around, install the 2007 components as Administrator. If your regular users do not have Admin permissions, when they run Access 2016, Office will be unable to 'auto upgrade'. 

Rich

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Fortuitously I had installed it as administrator and have not experienced the helpful "auto upgrade" but good to know about it.

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I spoke too soon. Despite being an administrator on my machine every time I open Access 2016 then ArcMap it crashes Arcmap because the mxd is linking to excel. I found this web page but it appears the IT department have disabled the ability to turn off auto updates in Office.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Jayanta,

Tried your suggestion, that did not work. I installed it, open Access, then open the mxd that is linking to excel and it still crashes. 

0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

Agree - Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 now the preferred option to address this issue. The bitness you install should match the version of Office you have loaded (i.e., if you have 32 bit Microsoft Office use 32 bit engine; if you have 64 bit Office, use 64 bit engine).