Pdf properties in My Content

Jump to solution
09-12-2016 10:29 AM
MichaelMachado
New Contributor III

I added a pdf to My Content and then added the link in the Story Map.  However, once I close the Story Map and reopen it, I receive an error that it has "expired" (see code below).   Is there a property I need to set or am I missing something?  Thanks

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

-<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Request has expired<?Message>

<X-Amz-Expires>300</X-Amz-Expires>

<Expires>2016-09-12T17:22:42Z</ServerTime>

<RequestID>F89758C3383B6943</RequestID>

<HostId>ueeHI4NtxYPK5cVA/SyLdRnGR4Nkb+LR289VjeGm6rOZ/jmvRcdzODpqvcaw2I_JgqbLmxhg7B38=<?HostId?

</Error>

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi RuthAnne,

What URL are you using? My guess is that you were opening the file and then copying the URL from the address bar, which gives you a URL that expires.

You first need to share the file with Everyone, and then a URL will appear at the bottom of the right sidebar on the item page for you to use. That URL won't expire.

Also it's best to use https for your URL so that you don't run into mixed content errors as described in this blog:

Embedding apps and websites in Story Maps | ArcGIS Blog 

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi RuthAnne,

What URL are you using? My guess is that you were opening the file and then copying the URL from the address bar, which gives you a URL that expires.

You first need to share the file with Everyone, and then a URL will appear at the bottom of the right sidebar on the item page for you to use. That URL won't expire.

Also it's best to use https for your URL so that you don't run into mixed content errors as described in this blog:

Embedding apps and websites in Story Maps | ArcGIS Blog 

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MichaelMachado
New Contributor III

Thank you Owen. Yes I did copy the URL when I opened the pdf. At this point, it is not shareable with Everyone nor is it ready to be. Is sharing with Everyone the only way to get the URL at the bottom of the page?

Thanks,

RuthAnne

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

RuthAnne,

Currently, yes, that's the only way to get a persistent URL is to share with everyone.

I would suggest simply creating a link in the text of your story to open the PDF in another browser tab -- that way you could store the PDF somewhere that you can provide secure access to people who are authorized to see it (like Box or other file storage service).

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MichaelMachado
New Contributor III

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos