AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is it possible to iterate through a set of update cursors with the next() parameter?

Question asked by frederic_martin on Sep 8, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 16, 2016 by frederic_martin

I have a feature class that is the result of a spatial join between a group of Credit_Recipient (RecClmNum) and Credit_Allocation (AllocClmNum) land parcels.  The join essentially associates Credit_Allocation parcels that are within a given buffer of the Credit_Recipient parcels.  This means I may have 1, 2, or X number of Credit_Allocation parcels associated to a single Credit_Recipient parcel. I have created a new table into which I want to add each Credit_Recipient parcel number, the credit value (CorrRecCreVal)  it needs to receive, and the Credit_Allocation parcel number from which it will receieve the value. The calculation  for the credit allocation is a straight subtraction of the required credit value CorrRecCreVal) from the available credit (CorrAllocCreVal) in the allocation parcel.  The code below does what I want but only on the first row (and only if I use the "next()" parameter).  I need the script to repeat the code from the "SearchCursor.da" point.  If I use the "for row in cursor" option it doesn't do the correct calculation (basically it does do it, but regardless of whether the Credit_Recipient has or hasn't received an allocation).  

sourceFC = "UpdatedRecipientClaims"
sourceFieldsList = ["RecClmNum","TransferredValue"]
# use list comprehension to build a dictionary from a da SearchCursor.
valueDict = {r[0]:(r[1:]) for r in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(sourceFC,sourceFieldsList)}

sourceFC2 = "ActualTbleCopy2SortedAllocationClaims"
sourceFieldsList2 = ["AllocClmNum","CorrAllocCreVal"]
# Use list comprehension to build a dictionary from a da SearchCursor
valueDict2 = {r2[0]:(r2[1:]) for r2 in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(sourceFC2,sourceFieldsList2)}

SearchFC = "RecipientBufferClaims"
SearchFieldsList = ["RecClmNum","CorrRecCreVal","AllocClmNum"]

with arcpy.da.SearchCursor(SearchFC,SearchFieldsList) as srchCursor:
    srchRow = srchCursor.next()
    #for srchRow in srchCursor:
    # store the Join value SearchCursor in the Key... variable
    KeyRecipientClaim = srchRow[0]
    KeyRecipientCredit = srchRow[1]
    KeyAllocationClaim = srchRow[2]
    # store the field values in a variable for the insert cusor
    rowValues = [(srchRow[0],srchRow[1])]
    # if the recipient claim (KeyRecipientClaim) is not in the returned variable
    # rowValues, then insert it into the table. If I use the "for srchRow in
    # srchCursor:" instead of "srchRow = srchCursor.next()" it calculates on all the
    # RecipientClaims regardless of whether they have received a credit or not.
    if KeyRecipientClaim not in sourceFC:
        insrtCurs = arcpy.da.InsertCursor(sourceFC,sourceFieldsList)
        for row in rowValues:
            insrtCurs.insertRow(row)
            del insrtCurs
            del row
            query = """ "AllocClmNum" = '%s'"""%KeyAllocationClaim
            arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(sourceFC2,"NEW_SELECTION",query)
            upCurs = arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(sourceFC2,sourceFieldsList2)
            for upRow in upCurs:
                if upRow[1] >= 15000:
                    NewAllocCredVal = upRow[1] = upRow[1] - KeyRecipientCredit
                    if NewAllocCredVal >= 15000:
                        upCurs.updateRow(upRow)
                        del upCurs
                        del upRow
                        arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(sourceFC2,"CLEAR_SELECTION")
                        query2 = """ "RecClmNum" = '%s'"""%KeyRecipientClaim
                        arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(sourceFC,"NEW_SELECTION",query2)
                        arcpy.CalculateField_management(sourceFC,"AllocClmNum",'KeyAllocationClaim',"PYTHON_9.3")
                        arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(sourceFC,"CLEAR_SELECTION")

Outcomes