AnsweredAssumed Answered

Exporting .dwg to arcmap

Question asked by breckan on Sep 7, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 by MidnightYell2003

Hi,

I've seen this question asked before, but I cannot find a solution that works for me and hoping someone knows of a new trick:

I have a few dwg autocad files/drawings that I want to use in arcmap (10.1). I've exported several dwgs to shapefiles using autocad(3D Map 2013)  before, it worked perfectly. Now, I have three 3D drawings that I really need for my GIS analysis that won't export right, I get the error message "no entity to export" in autocad, no matter what I choose: point/line/polygon or what attributes and layers I select or deselect. If I just add the .dwg directly into arcmap nothing appears and the attribute table is empty, for all parts of the dwg: polyline, polygon and points.

I have tried saving the files as 2010 .dwg as I understand that arcmap don't like 2012-2014 version dwgs. I have checked for locked layers, there are none. I have made sure the coordinate system is correct according to the map I've added them too, and added the dwgs to completely empty maps also. I have read/write permission on the dwg's locations, I have moved them around and nothing changes. I have also tried exploding the dwgs, but that does not help.

Does anyone have a solution/suggestion?

I have some years of experience with ArcGIS, not so much with autocad. Thanks in advance.

Outcomes