Is it possible to group values for a layer's symbology in ArcGIS Online?

09-05-2016 03:49 AM
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Good morning,

Is it possible to group values for a layer's symbology in ArcGIS Online similar to what you can do in ArcMap?

At the moment I have a layer and have grouped categories by symbolising them in the same way for each grouping but this throws off the legend.

Any ideas or tips?

Carmel

8 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Not all that is possible in ArcGIS Online is supported by ArcGIS Online. To mimic this behavior, you could create a group layer in ArcMap and add copies of the layer, using a definition query with the same elements of the groups and publish that as a service (on ArcGIS Server). When you add the service you will see a group layer with different layers (one for each group).

CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Xander,

I thought that might be the case!

I did have that workaround implemented but this was impacting on some of the widgets. I think what I'll do is have the main layer in the web map but turned off in the web map and Layer widget and turned on for the Attribute table & Query widgets and then have the layer added in again and filtered and symbolised appropriately and use these for the Layer widget.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Sounds plausible. It's not ideal but it is a way to solve the problem. There are some updates coming to AGOL next week, but I don't think that enhancements with Group Layers is included. 

BrianRosenthal
New Contributor

I had a similar issue and was wondering whether this is a feature that ESRI would be implementing in the future?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I need this also - I grouped symbols in ArcGIS Pro but when I publish to a feature service and add to Map Viewer (new) it ungroups all the symbols. Esri said there is an enhancement logged - so maybe it will come out end of April 2023.

DeniseVachon
New Contributor III

I just got off a call with Esri Support. This is still not supported. The ENH is still open and labelled as "low" priority. This is the workaround I was given: How To: Group Multiple Features Based on Attribute Values in ArcGIS Online Map Viewer (esri.com). The workaround kind of works, but it results in more requests to your server and reduced performance overall. It's also difficult to update when you make changes to the underlying layer.

SFM_TravisBott
Occasional Contributor III

What a bummer. I found this thread because when I published a layer grouped like this in Pro..

SFM_TravisBott_0-1697749671615.png

SFM_TravisBott_1-1697749711344.png

I end up with this in AGOL....

SFM_TravisBott_2-1697749745297.png

And these are all coded value domains, wo when used in attempts at combination in AGOL it only reads them as the integer fields they are and reverts to arithmetic forms of aggregation. 

MariusBartašius
New Contributor II

By any chance you have Error number to get higher priority?

0 Kudos