ArcGIS Pro - Wrapping Legend Title

09-02-2016 07:53 AM
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I cant seem to get the Legend Title in ArcGIS Pro to wrap.  I have changed the resize behavior to "adjust columns" and checked the wrapping box in the Element:Legend pane.

Everything wraps correctly as far as my legend elements go, but as soon as I add a Legend Title thats too long, it doesnt wrap and basically hides everything in my legend.

Is this a bug or have I just not found the correct setting to control this?  Legend titles always seemed a little sketchy even back in ArcMap, but I could usually get them to wrap correctly with some fiddling.  In ArcGIS Pro this doesnt seem to be the case.

I have attached 2 screenshots showing how when I have a short legend title, everything is fine, and another screenshot showing how the title refuses to wrap, and subsequently destroys my legend.

Any tips?

Tags (3)
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Legend title properties perhaps this applies... in case that means anything... sounds like a one-for-all all-for-one

Text wrapping is a legend property and applies to all legend items. It cannot be set at the individual legend item level.

0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Dan thanks for the reply!

Yes I have read this page extensively and unfortunately the wrapping discussed on that help page doesnt seem to apply to the legend title, apparently.  One would think that it would/should, but it either doesn't, or its not working correctly.

Everything else wraps correctly (as you can see on the screenshots), but if the legend title needs to wrap, it messes everything up...  As you can see, the layer Income Qualified Growth Rate: 75+ Households, does indeed wrap correctly, as long as the Title stays short enough to fit on one line.

Do I need to submit a bug report for this do you think?  Seems like a bug.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would since I don't see anything on the Bugs list and change logs that I maintain on the... py... links

0 Kudos
TimLane
New Contributor

Not really an answer to your problem, but a solution nonetheless:

-Uncheck the 'show title' box to get rid of title

-Remove background symbol (color)

-Insert a Rectangle Graphics to serve as your legend background (leave extra space at top for Title)

-Insert Rectangle Text box for title. Now you can simply hit enter when editing text to create multiple lines

*An easy solution you may have overlooked, but this makes it so that you can get your word wrapping and not have to convert to a graphic. Sometimes it's easier to do workarounds than try to work through ArcPro issues. 

0 Kudos