Has anyone seen this error: Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {E1740EC5-9513-11D2-A2DF-0000F8774FB5} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 8000ffff.

Jump to solution
09-02-2016 04:33 PM
TheodoreRakel
Occasional Contributor

I'm using arc gis 10.2.1.  I have a console application to create point features in a versioned SDE geodatabase.  When I try to call .Store on a new point feature I get an exception: 

Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {E1740EC5-9513-11D2-A2DF-0000F8774FB5} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 8000ffff.

I can create a new point feature in a point feature class in the same dataset without error.  The code below shows 2 points getting created.  The first one works, the second throws.  From arc catalog the two point feature classes appear the same.  They are both versioned, since they're in the same dataset.  They have the same spatial reference.

_workspaceEdit.StartEditing(false);
_workspaceEdit.StartEditOperation();

IPoint newPtLoc = new Point();
newPtLoc.PutCoords(2e6, 6e6);

IFeatureClass testPtFC = _featureWorkspace.OpenFeatureClass("ARCFM.testPt");
IFeature newtestPt = testPtFC.CreateFeature();
newtestPt.set_Value(newtestPt.Fields.FindField("SUBTYPECD"), 1);
newtestPt.Shape = newPtLoc;
newtestPt.Store();

IFeatureClass poleFC = _featureWorkspace.OpenFeatureClass("ARCFM.POLE");
IFeature newPole = poleFC.CreateFeature();
newPole.set_Value(newtestPt.Fields.FindField("SUBTYPECD"), 1);
newPole.Shape = newPtLoc;
newPole.Store();   // this .Store throws the exception shown above

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheodoreRakel
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Duncan.  It turns out that the problem comes from the feature I was trying to create.  It's an Arc FM feature and has an auto updater assigned to it that fires on create.  The auto updater was causing the problem.  Arc FM is a product from Schneider that sits on top of Arc GIS.  The solution was to turn auto updaters off before creating the feature.  Now it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Just an observation, I've never seen the notation you have used to create a point geometry

newPtLoc.PutCoords(2e6, 6e6);

Normally it would be something like

newPtLoc.PutCoords(2000000, 6000000);

May be that is the source of your problem?

TheodoreRakel
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Duncan.  It turns out that the problem comes from the feature I was trying to create.  It's an Arc FM feature and has an auto updater assigned to it that fires on create.  The auto updater was causing the problem.  Arc FM is a product from Schneider that sits on top of Arc GIS.  The solution was to turn auto updaters off before creating the feature.  Now it works.

0 Kudos