How to download\extract the content (data) of map service layer in one go?

Jump to solution
09-02-2016 01:20 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

How to download\extract the content (data) of map service layer in one go?

I couldn’t get the best practice in how to download\extract the content of map service layers in one go. Most of server tools end up with errors

Thank you

Best

Jamal

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Jamal,

you are still adding the map service layer, not as a feature layer (pls note that in my last screen shot, the URL ends with '/0')

You need to add the sublayer off your map service to a map first.

Step#1:

Pls note the 'Cities' underneath the 'SampleWorldCities' is selected in my screenshot below. SampleWorldCities is the map service, whereas Cities is a sublayer (of feature layer type). You need to add Cities not SampleWorldCities (in my example). In your case you need to right-click on 'Communities_Ramallah_FC' (NOT Area_ABC_PalGrid1923) and select 'Add to Current Map'

once you add this, the TOC will look like this. Note, there is no parent layer for Cities.

at this point, it works like any feature layer that you can add from a FGDB or Enterprise database (aka SDE). You can set def query, you can change its symbology/renderer etc.

Step#2:

Open Feature Class to Feature Class gp tool

Step#3:

now you can drag/drop the layer (from the TOC/Content pane, NOT from the Catalog pane) to the gp tool, OR

just select the layer from the GP tool Input Features drop down.

please give this a try and let me know if you run into any issue.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It looks like you have to 'select' the ones you want, perhaps you are only selecting one

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Dan.

Which tool you recommend me to use to extract\download data from a particular service?

For example, the “extract data task” fails

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If this is the one....

Extract Data—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop according to the warning... it isn't quite as simple as you think

Geoprocessing service example: Clip And Ship—Sharing geoprocessing workflows | ArcGIS for Desktop 

which of course is buried in this whole server thing, which is quite extensive, hopefully you have seen it and can narrow it down

What is a geoprocessing service?—Sharing geoprocessing workflows | ArcGIS for Desktop 

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Hi Dan,

I have explored these tools but none of them is working.

But in principle, is there any straightforward tool that can extract data from a published service (layer)?

Saleh Ahmed

Rawan Saleh

Jamal Numan
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal, have a look on the following thread  "download-arcgis-online-feature-service-or-arcgis-server-featuremap-service" I used this tool several times and it was good.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Rawan.

I tried the tool but got the error below

Jamal Numan
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal,

You need to fill the other parameter  in order to make it work, the url should be referring to the layer in your map service “http://server/arcgis/rest/service/myMapService/MapServer/<layer-id>

You need to specify If your map service is a hosted feature service or ArcGIS Server Service, then choose If you need to download the feature data or the tabular data only. If your layer is not public you need to specify the user name and password.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Rawa. Unfortunalty, it is not working despite the fact that all the parameters are filled out

What other settings I might need to consider?

Jamal Numan
abdullahqasrawi
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Rawan, it is working well with me.