Questions about LAS 1.4 support and las data not displaying

08-22-2016 09:15 AM
Labels (1)
JFPrieur
New Contributor III

Hello, having a few issues with some lidar data we recently acquired, it is in LAS format 1.4 with Point Record Format 6. I have difficulty displaying individual LAS strips in ArcMap. There are approximately 30 las strips in our study region. When I use lastools lasmerge and create one big individual LAS, I can create a LAS dataset (which finds the projection information properly in the LAS header) and display it eg. the points are drawn on the display when I zoom in and I can visualize the data.

When I create a LAS dataset from a single strip, the process seems to work (the projection and statistics are found as abobe), a LAS dataset is created and the red bounding box shows up. No points are drawn however when I zoom in, even if the percentage of points displayed value in the Table of Contents is NOT 0 eg. It can say 54,8 percent for example but I see no points drawn on the screen.

Any tips? When I use the CheckLAS tool (http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e49eaa594fb04f7f8827915345a255aa) the only error I get is ERROR: Point record format 6 of version 1.4 is not supported

What I find strange is that everything work fine when I amalgamate the 30 las files into one, perhaps lasmerge is fixing something in the process.

Does ArcMap 10.3.1 fully support LAS 1.4 format or am I better off downgrading to 1.2. This would be unfortunate because this is a new sensor that gives us 16 bit intensity values, which I would lose in 1.2.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JohnScrivani
New Contributor

I also have encountered issues with using LAS1.4 Point record 6 format data. LAS datasets built using these data will display in Desktop and Pro but when class filters are applied using the LAS Dataset toolbar, no data is displayed.  I am not sure whether geoprocessing tools will work with class filters or not.  The workaround I implemented is to convert the data to LAS 1.2 using las2las.  Not ideal because of the extra processing and storage space required. I wonder what ESRI's plans are to address this issue.

0 Kudos