Publishing map services with ArcGIS Online account

08-22-2016 06:01 AM
AdrianaPaese
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to publish a map service with ArcGIS Online account (when ArcGIS for Server is not installed) perhaps based on one ESRI server clusters? Thank you so much

9 Replies
AlexanderBrown5
Occasional Contributor II

Adriana,

These should be helpful:

About hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

You cant exactly publish a map service like you would do on ArcGIS Server, but you can publish your content as a feature layer on AGOL.

~Alex

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Alexander Brown probably a silly question but..  Can you publish it to AGOL, but your data still reside locally? So just like regular on-premise ArcGIS Server? In other words can you "register" your data that resides locally, with AGOL? So the data comes from your on premise machines and stays up to date and does not eat lots of storage credit, but is still served from AGOL's Enterprise cluster?

0 Kudos
AlexanderBrown5
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Kevin,

You absolutely can.  If your organization has ArcGIS Server, you can publish your content to ArcGIS Server.  Go to the rest endpoints for that service, copy the url, and add the item from the web in ArcGIS Online.  

Just be aware that once you do this, the service will not scale out like a traditional service on ArcGIS Online.  If you get 1,000 requests on that service, your ArcGIS Server infrastructure will need to be able to support that number of service instances.

~Alex

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Alexander Brown, does that mean I could create an on-premise data store, but leverage AGOL Server to publish feature layers with tiling? Tiled feature layers load blazing fast but are only supported on AGOL now; with support coming to Server 'Enterprise' 10.7.1 or 10.7.2.  So... would this be a way, to get tiled feature layer services while still keeping the data itself local?  My point in asking this question was whether we could leverage AGOL as the "Server" to take advantage of new features that come to AGOL first, i.e. feature layer tiling, with on-prem data?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Alexander Brown‌ did I understand that right? We can 'register' on premise data to AGOL and serve it from there, and leverage feature service tiling from data on our on-premise SDE or file GDB?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
0 Kudos
geoshi
by
New Contributor II

Hi Alex,

I'm wondering if I can publish a "Map Service"  (.i.e not Feature Service) onto ArcGIS Online and make its url (restful end points) to my clients?  The data (e.g. FGDB or shape file) is also loaded to ArcGIS Online too.

Thanks,

GS

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Alexander Brown‌ I am still wondering - is this really possible?  And Like geoshi asks, I want MapServer map image service end points. What you described, was basically we don't need AGS Enterprise on prem, just the data. And then we can 'publish' to AGOL instead of our on-prem AGS Enterprise Server?  That sounds... too good to be true??    Anything to take the load off my server I am interested in. AGS just seems not to be able to handle a heavy load. I literally just put my parcel and address data on to AGOL as a feature layer to attach the Search widget to, because the request traffic was killing my server. (I fiddled with pooling, service timeout, recycling the service hourly, aggressive draw scales, separating heavy annotation layers into separate services, etc. And the AWS instance does only this one site but it could have dozens of simultaneous requests. 16 GB RAM but it could not handle it for some reason. The 'suggest' in particular seems to have buried it in traffic and it could not do it. So I put the data on AGOL now it works great.  ) Reason I ask is... there is no such thing as a 'Hosted' locator. https://community.esri.com/message/888896-re-composite-locator-not-properly-locating-address-points?... ArcGIS Online Hosted Locators  I want to get a Locator that works with Units and Suggest (still not a thing.... )  but I would settle for a Hosted Locator and perhaps Hosted data, if an on premise AGS server can't handle traffic. (Either it can't handle traffic or I don't have it configured efficiently but I've spent a lot of time testing and configuring to no avail)

So, that all seems like a long story.  Bottom line is, my sites run slow under load. Operational layers load slowly, Locators work slowly, and Suggest barely works at times.  Well, Suggest works fast now, but because I put the layers on AGOL and Search widget now searches it as a featureLayer.  I would prefer however to have a Locator to search Owner Name in our Parcel layer because it is more flexible with the spelling (vs searching directly as a featureLayer).  So... here is what I would like to do.  Publish a Locator to AGOL that points at my on-prem SDE data.  

0 Kudos
geoshi
by
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin,

My main objective is to share a map service hosted on AGOL with my external collaborators using restful endpoints. The external users can use map services (dynamically generated images) in their web maps, but cannot download the source data. 

Let me ask a different but related question: Can AGOL host OGC WMS services like its on-premise ArcGIS enterprise (Web Adapter, Server, Data store....) does?

Thanks,

G.S.