MGI m31 to WGS 84 utm 33N which method?

08-14-2016 02:53 AM
PatrickSchwager
New Contributor

I want to transform a raster from MGI Austria GK M 31 into WGS 1984 UTM 33N. Which method would fit best?
Thanks in advance,
Patrick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

unless there is a projected-to-project conversion available within your country, have you ruled out projected-to-GCS-to-projected.   so whatever it takes to get your projected data into a GCS WGS84 coordinate system, then project to your UTM since the datum appears to be the same.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you looking for which geographic/datum transformation to use to convert from MGI to WGS84? You'll need to use a concatenated transformation. Try MGI_To_ETRS_1989_5 + ETRS_1989_To_WGS_1984.

Note: the first transformation uses the NTv2 file, AT_GIS_GRID.gsb. For some reason, we didn't put in transformation that converts directly from MGI to WGS84 and uses the NTv2 file. I plan to add one in a future release.

Melita

JulieNacos
New Contributor

Hi Melita,

I have a similiar question as I am using Corine's Version 17 (12/2013) Landcover 2006 Vector data - data downloaded in a zipfile from this link here: Corine Land Cover 2006 seamless vector data — European Environment Agency.

Below this text I have enclosed 2 screenshots of the Corine properties: ETRS89/ETRS-LAEA.

What would be the best way to transform and project this data for the most accurate alignment in WGS1984_UTM34N? 

Thank you, Julie 

Screenshot_Corine_Properties.PNG

Corine_2ndScreenshot_Properties.PNG

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Julie,

Either use the Project or Project Raster tool. In the tool for the output coordinate system, you should be able to type in the well-known ID of the UTM zone, 32634, or browse to projected coordinate systems, UTM, WGS 1984 (North). For the geographic transformation, use ETRS_1989_To_WGS_1984.

Melita

JulieNacos
New Contributor

Thank you! 

0 Kudos