Instagram Layer on Public Info Map App

Jump to solution
08-11-2016 11:38 AM
ChristopherSchreiber
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I was working with the Esri Public Information app on my dev machine. I could not get the Instagram Layer to work as I kept getting an error that read (Instagram::400 - Instagram: The access_token provided is invalid.) on the Chrome dev tools.

I downloaded the app on GitHub (Link Below) and got it running with a web map I created on ArcGIS Online. I registered my app with Instagram and got a new Client ID and entered in in the "instagram_key" section of the "default.js" file. Still no luck.

Link to App on GitHub: GitHub - Esri/public-information-map-template-js: An ArcGIS Online mapping template to showcase soci...

I will continue looking into this and update if I find anything.

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherSchreiber

Hello all,

I spoke with  Matt Driscoll on GitHub and he has informed me that Instagram has changed its policies on what apps can and can't access their API. Matt also let me know that Esri will add a blog post and a GeoNet thread when the issue is resolved. He warned that Esri may need to make changes the the app to meet Instagram's new guidelines. If that still does not work, they may need to remove the layer altogether.

Here is a post by Instagram on their dev blogs: Instagram Platform Update Effective June 1, 2016 - Instagram Developers

Link to the discussion: Instagram Access Token · Issue #47 · Esri/public-information-map-template-js · GitHub

Thank Matt!

Chris

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ChristopherSchreiber

Hello all,

I spoke with  Matt Driscoll on GitHub and he has informed me that Instagram has changed its policies on what apps can and can't access their API. Matt also let me know that Esri will add a blog post and a GeoNet thread when the issue is resolved. He warned that Esri may need to make changes the the app to meet Instagram's new guidelines. If that still does not work, they may need to remove the layer altogether.

Here is a post by Instagram on their dev blogs: Instagram Platform Update Effective June 1, 2016 - Instagram Developers

Link to the discussion: Instagram Access Token · Issue #47 · Esri/public-information-map-template-js · GitHub

Thank Matt!

Chris

deleted-user-MS0lE1F_0-sy
Occasional Contributor

Wrong Matthew Driscoll.

0 Kudos
ChristopherSchreiber

Matt,

Thanks for letting me know! I was looking just to make sure when you posted.

Chris

0 Kudos
KarenLandicho
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

Is there an updated information from Esri regarding this?

Thanks,

Karen

0 Kudos
ChristopherSchreiber

Karen,

There has been an update with the layer. In one of the previous updates to ArcGIS Online, Esri updated the Instagram Layer to require the user to sign-in to an existing Instagram Account. (Similar to the Twitter layer). 

This only works, however, on the latest version of the Public Information App Template (currently used in ArcGIS Online). Earlier versions will attempt to log into Instagram via an API key, which (for Esri use) was disabled by Instagram. 

For those looking to use the PIM app template by downloading it from the Esri GitHub page, it appears that you still must register the app with Instagram and provide a ClientID (from Instagram) and a Sign In URL (also from Instagram).

I hope this helps,

Chris 

ChristinaBoggs-Chavira
New Contributor III

Does this mean that consumers of apps made with the social media feeds > instagram layer need to login to view instagram content? (it's what it appears like now, just want to make sure I'm not missing something) Thanks!

0 Kudos
LeonelStanly
New Contributor

Instazoom.mobi is a powerful mobile marketing tool that helps businesses reach out to their target audience through the use of engaging and interactive content. Instazoom.mobi provides businesses with the ability to create and deliver highly targeted and personalized mobile marketing campaigns that can result in increased customer engagement, brand awareness, and sales conversions.

0 Kudos