Mr. Sid - To cache or not?

08-11-2016 10:52 AM
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

We have a single Mr. Sid file with a file size of 1.6 gigs, covers roughly 28kmX12km. Created a map service of this image and runs great, we will need to serve out to +- 50 active connections and I'm wondering if there is any advantage in caching or not. Imagery is static and will not change.

We have very good server hardware, all our previous testing showing the need to cache was done on TIFF's totaling 20 or 30 gigs, this is our first time using a SID file instead.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I would probably prefer creating a mosaic dataset (What is a mosaic dataset?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ) and use all the advantages this format offers and cache the service.

JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry to dig up an old post (I was referred here by another ESRI Solutions Engineer).

Xander Bakker‌: Do you mean that instead of creating a mosaic'd MrSID raster dataset from individual MrSID tiles using GeoExpress, you'd create an ESRI Mosaic Dataset from the individual MrSID tiles using Arc? Then, you'd create the cached map service from this Mosaic Dataset?

Is this just because you prefer the Overview creation controls in ESRI's Mosaic Dataset toolset, or is there a more specific reason ESRI's Mosaic Dataset will perform better than the GeoExpress mosaic'd raster dataset.

FYI: I am looking at this workflow from the perspective of not having an Image Server License, just ArcGIS Enterprise (hence publishing as a cached map service).

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

There is a lot of documentation available:

It would be a lot better to have access to the Image Server role in Enterprise to optimize performance...