Can I configure a time aware story map to change spatial extent through time?

Jump to solution
08-09-2016 06:05 AM
deleted-user-yUw6wWKCYBY0
New Contributor III

I realize that this may be a big ask, but is there any way to get a time aware story map to automatically change the viewing extent over time?

I have some bird tracking data which represents a bird migration on an international scale, but when the bird settles down for the winter its movements shift to a very localized scale. Ideally, my time aware story map would automatically zoom in after a specified time to show this. I also have a map tour which does zoom to each location as the user progresses through the content, but if we could also implement this for the time enabled story map that would be ideal. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Thomas, for the Time Aware app, can you post in the ArcGIS Online space: ArcGIS Online because Time Aware isn't specifically a Story Map app.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Thomas, for the Time Aware app, can you post in the ArcGIS Online space: ArcGIS Online because Time Aware isn't specifically a Story Map app.

Rupert

0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III

I have a similar question.  I have a map service with a single point "time aware" layer in it.  I'd like to create a map journal-like story map that progresses based on the time elements of the point layer.  So, for example, my point data has about 30 points that have date/time start/stop fields from Monday through this friday.  I'd like to put that in a map journal type story map so that as the user scrolls down on the journal side, it reads the time aware data and zooms to the relevant time and extent in the main map.  

Any other ideas would be great too.  I can't seem to find any robust time-aware story map functionality other than the "time-aware app", which is really just a web map with a time slider bar.  Ideally, I'd love to see a map journal type app that reads in the time fields and displays the popup data in the scrolling journal on the left side of the map without having to reenter in all that descriptive data in the journal section.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

There isn't an automated way of showing time-based data in story maps at this time. However, you could easily do what you describe by creating a copies of your layer (one for each section of your story) and applying different time-based filters to each layer. See Apply filters—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS for more info on filters.

Each layer would show the time extent for each section of your story. Then you'd use the story map builder to show just one of the layers in each section of your Map Journal. In each section, you'd go to Content > Custom configuration and toggle the correct layer on for that section.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Owen, Will look into it.  Can you elaborate a little on the "creating copies of your layer" comment?  What exactly does that look like?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

When editing your web map just choose "Copy" from the layer menu. After creating multiple copies (one for each section of your story) you'e set up a different filter on each layer that shows just the data for that time interval.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos