Question about Survey123

Jump to solution
08-03-2016 11:40 AM
Ozman
by
New Contributor II

Hi, why my survey takes too long to load on my device? Any recommendations, please

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. I had a quick look at the survey.  Thanks for sharing. I was able to make it load in my iPhone6 in 4 seconds. Here are the changes I made:

• First I changed the appearance of long lists into 'minimal'. This helps  because the choices in the list are loaded only when you tap on the drop-down. I left short lists (under 5 choices) as they were. I got marginal improvement in this particular case.
  • Then I looked at your relevant column to find sets of questions using the same expression. I found a couple large sets in section 22 (Gastos) so I first removed all the relevant expressions, then grouped the questions and applied the relevant expression to the Group. In this manner, the mobile app only needs to execute the relevant expression once for  the group as opposed  to every question. The survey started to make some noticeable improvements here.
  • Then at the very beginning of the survey, in Section 3 (Codigo Encuestador), I collapsed a sequence of questions into a single Cascading Select with External Choices. This also  made a significant difference.
  • I applied minimal appearance to your repeat. By using minimal appearance you delay the rendering of questions within the repeat until you click on Plus. Made minor difference but applied anyways.
  • Fixed typo in the header (Settings Worksheet), applied like-rt appearance to Encuesta de Satisfaccion.  Just for  the looks, no chance in performance.

I noticed you are using the field-list appearance. Unfortunately we are not supporting this XLSForm feature just yet. I left them there although they will be ignored  in the app.

I imagine we could look at optimizing a bit more, but that is how far I was able to get it for now. For a survey of this type, which typically would take several minutes to complete, it seems like 4 seconds to open should be bearable. I did not test on other devices, the time to load will change  depending on the compute time in the phone or tablet.

Attaching survey with my changes.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Osman. To provide  any advice to you you will need to include your XLSFile in this thread.

Ozman
by
New Contributor II

Thank you for your replay Ismael, I just attach the xml file to my original comment, if you can see if there's anything this bad ...

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. I had a quick look at the survey.  Thanks for sharing. I was able to make it load in my iPhone6 in 4 seconds. Here are the changes I made:

• First I changed the appearance of long lists into 'minimal'. This helps  because the choices in the list are loaded only when you tap on the drop-down. I left short lists (under 5 choices) as they were. I got marginal improvement in this particular case.
  • Then I looked at your relevant column to find sets of questions using the same expression. I found a couple large sets in section 22 (Gastos) so I first removed all the relevant expressions, then grouped the questions and applied the relevant expression to the Group. In this manner, the mobile app only needs to execute the relevant expression once for  the group as opposed  to every question. The survey started to make some noticeable improvements here.
  • Then at the very beginning of the survey, in Section 3 (Codigo Encuestador), I collapsed a sequence of questions into a single Cascading Select with External Choices. This also  made a significant difference.
  • I applied minimal appearance to your repeat. By using minimal appearance you delay the rendering of questions within the repeat until you click on Plus. Made minor difference but applied anyways.
  • Fixed typo in the header (Settings Worksheet), applied like-rt appearance to Encuesta de Satisfaccion.  Just for  the looks, no chance in performance.

I noticed you are using the field-list appearance. Unfortunately we are not supporting this XLSForm feature just yet. I left them there although they will be ignored  in the app.

I imagine we could look at optimizing a bit more, but that is how far I was able to get it for now. For a survey of this type, which typically would take several minutes to complete, it seems like 4 seconds to open should be bearable. I did not test on other devices, the time to load will change  depending on the compute time in the phone or tablet.

Attaching survey with my changes.

Ozman
by
New Contributor II

Thank you, you're great ... I'm new using this app, so I will make all the suggested changes and incorporate into my version and again thank you so much for your support

0 Kudos
Ozman
by
New Contributor II

Hi, Ismael sorry for asking again, but I modified a little the xlsfile that you suggested me the last time in a new form using the external choice, but now it doesn't work, I checked everything several times but I can not find my mistake. Could you help me please or suggest any changes.

Attach the xlsfile

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi.

I made some tweaks to your XLSForm and got the cascading select to work. All changes were made on the external_select worksheet.  You will note I did:

• rename your Frontera and Label columns to Frontera_old and Label_old
  • created new columns for Frontera and Label

Your syntax was correct, but cascading selects do not like numbers. That is why I added the two columns and transformed your numbers into text.

Hope this helps!

Ozman
by
New Contributor II

Thanks man, you are awesome ... I had the idea that the problem was in the numerical format, but your suggestion will serve me a lot. Thanks again 

0 Kudos