How can i edit ArcMAP 10.1 tool parameters....?

08-02-2016 11:28 PM
AmilaThilanka
New Contributor II

I want to change the calculation method of ArcMAP 10.1 Surface tool. The tool help information say that this tool merge the elevation information of both x- direction and y-direction but i do need to this information in separately. It would be great help for me if some one can explain the way to do it....;

Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You will have to roll out a user defined filter... see convolution filters for some examples

Convolution function—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

There are a number of convolution filter types you can choose within this function. You can also specify a User Defined type and enter your own kernel values.

I usually find it easier to do this sort of thing through numpy with sliding or block functions.

I have some code examples here Sliding/Moving window operations in rasters and arrays  that helps describe to get the sliding window created, then it is a matter of using your kernel on the resultant input data capture.  It works pretty well but you will need some level of python/numpy experience.

AmilaThilanka
New Contributor II

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for the suggestion and information about python/numpy. I'm very interest to study it, but how i define new slope function...?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The slope function that you showed in the pdf file is the method that ArcMap uses already to calculate slope

Slope—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

How Slope works—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

If you want to implement another variant (like maximum rise/fall, 1st order finite difference etc) then you will need to define your own 3x3 window (for instance) to deal with the values acquired from the moving window.

If you want to implement the method shown in the pdf, use the built-in tool if you have the Spatial Analyst or 3D analyst extension or roll out your variant using numpy and python

AmilaThilanka
New Contributor II

Dear Sir, Thank you again for your reply. Can you recommend any Text book or online material for making new tool/script for ArcMap platform.

0 Kudos
AmilaThilanka
New Contributor II

Thank you very much sir...!

0 Kudos