Embed a GIF in Story Maps Cascade

08-01-2016 09:56 AM
PierreGerard
New Contributor

I'm attempting to embed a GIF (auto-looping video) in my Story Maps Cascade, however, the methods I've attempted so far have not worked. I've tried to upload one through Flickr, but Flickr gave me issues. I tried using free GIF hosting websites like Imgur, but this also did not work. Any ideas for a workaround?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Pierre,

You can upload images, including animated gifs, right into the Cascade media picker. Just drag it onto the blue drop zone on the ArcGIS tab and it will be uploaded to your ArcGIS account and inserted into your story. If your gif is set to loop it will loop.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Pierre,

Also, image storage services that provide embed code that doesn't require a script should work in Cascade as well; so Giphy works, but Imgur does not (it requires JavaScript).

Some services provide additional HTML tags in their embed code. Currently you have to manually remove any additional tags from the embed code to leave just the <iframe>. We'll look to improve that experience in a future release, but for now here's an example of what to do:

For example, this is the embed code Giphy provides:

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/9WqOLBW3KIBOM" width="480" height="370" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/9WqOLBW3KIBOM">via GIPHY</a></p>

To get this to work in Cascade you'd just insert this:

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/9WqOLBW3KIBOM" width="480" height="370" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos