Different copies of package map files behave like one.

07-31-2016 09:41 AM
FelipeBucaram1
New Contributor

I have created a package file. I want to modify a copy of that packaged file but preserve the original. If I open it directly and modify it, then both package files get modified, the original and the copy.

• Also:
    • They both unpack with the same name to the same folder.
    • If I erase the folder that is automatically created then all changes are erased from all package files.
    • If I use the extract tool then a new .mxd file is created and the problem is solved. They both alter only their specific package file.

Why is ArcGIS behaving like this? I am curious because I am learning to use it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Package Map—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

uses the *.mxd first and foremost, which means that if you want a different version, then you should give it a different name AND even if you don't change anything in the project and want to make a copy, there is nothing wrong with saving A.mxd as B.mxd  even though they are identical.  You could exploit this by using the following

original.mxd

backup_2016_07_31.mxd

backup_2016_08_01.mxd

etc

then create packages as you see fit from the mxds which may or may not reflect changes in input data and/or other project changes.

My rule, never overwrite an mxd (except in the most minor of cases), do incremental saves and one ultimate backup every day

FelipeBucaram1
New Contributor

Thank you Dan. That is very helpful!

0 Kudos